Will an Apple Watch Sport Screen Work on an SS Model?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacCubed, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

As Apple is charging over $300 to replace the screen on the stainless steel Watch, I had the idea of looking on eBay for iCloud locked watches to take the screen from. Those iCloud locked devices are almost all Sport models, around $150. I was wondering if they are compatible so I can save some money. Thanks!

2. Armen, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't think anyone here has actually replaced a screen themselves to know. May I ask why you didn't spend $75 for AppleCare on a $700 Apple watch?

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I would assume it can be done, since internally the watches are the same. The only difference is the display material (IonX vs Sapphire) and the casing. I'd much rather pay to get it replaced by Apple, but that's because I'm bad with mechanical things and would probably screw it up :)

4. nicho macrumors 68000

i'm pretty sure they're almost impossible to replace. you'd be spending $150 with a 99% chance of destroying the donor watch and removing any chance of any repair from apple, ie leading to just having to buy a new watch.

5. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I wasn't thinking at the time of purchase, I thought that it would be a lot more durable than it was.... I practically tapped it into a metal door frame and it cracked
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    The donor watch would be an iCloud locked one and therefore probably never work again

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Also, if you're buying an iCloud locked one, you're probably giving $150 to a thief.

I still don't know why eBay allows the sale of locked devices :(

7. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I would rather pay Apple too, but don't want to pay $300.... The one thing I'm worried about if I repair it though, is if water resistance would still be present.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

9. nicho macrumors 68000

The important bit was the end of the sentence. If you're going to take yours apart to try to "fix" it, you might as well just throw it out the window and buy a new one now. The odds are already stacked against you, spending $150 on top of that doesn't seem wise! :)

10. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Unless you are more than 75% confident that you would be successful, then it does not make sense to go rogue. Here is a simple mathematical illustration.

Sport Screen Replacement Cost $150
    Probability of Failure 25%
    Cost of Failure $600
    Net cost of failure $150

Total Sport Replacement Cost $300

Apple Replacement $300
    Probability of Failure 0%
    Cost of Failure $600
    Net cost of failure $0

Total Apple Replacement Cost $300

11. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The thing is that I have done numerous Mac, iPhone, iPod, etc. repairs over the past few years, and have even brought totally dead devices back. I'm just concerned that either the screen won't work, or I do in fact break the water resistant capabilities of the watch

12. nicho macrumors 68000

as things get smaller, they get more intricate.

i've not read about *any* successful diy repairs to apple watch. a mac, this aint.

someone can feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure i read apple ships refurbs for screen replacements rather than actually replacing the screen?

13. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

It sounds like maybe you cracked the crystal, not the screen itself. Does the screen still come on? If it does you probably just need to replace the sapphire crystal and I don't think it would be a good idea to try and swap it with the glass crystal from a Sport model. Although I don't know if those are two separate parts or one complete assembly...

14. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah I cracked the crystal, they are glued together, the LCD and the crystal

15. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

Ah didn't realize they are one part. I agree with everyone else best let Apple repair it.