Will an "Archive and Install" keep my mobile broadband drivers and settings ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McNut, Apr 24, 2010.

1. McNut macrumors newbie

Please bear with me, as I luv my mac but am also still very much 'puter illiterate :eek:(

Firstly, I stupidly used the wrong "Onyx" app for my OS, and so have since been having damned "beachballs" left right and centre. ...
    So therefore thought this will be a good time for an upgrade to Tiger while I'm at it. (I know, I know, ... but Tiger is unfortunately as far as my old Powerbook will go. )

Now I had a really stressful time getting my mobile broadband to work in OS (Panther) 10.3.9. ... Finally I got my E220 "soap on a rope" Huawei drivers to work.

However, I'm now really worried that I will not be able to get online again once "Tiger" is installed. ... So my question is, will an "Archive & Install" preserve my E220 drivers and network settings (which are kinda "3rd party"). So that I will still be able to connect to the internet once in Tiger.

Or will I need to go thru a whole new nightmare getting new drivers to work under Tiger ??? (In which case I might as well do a completely "clean install" of Tiger ???)

(Also, anyone know if the drivers and network settings for the E220 dongle that worked under "Panther", will also work in "Tiger" ? Or will I need new different ones ?? (Which I've not been able to find anywhere !?)

Thanking you all in advance for any help !!! :eek:)

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I went Tiger to Leopard with no problems. So I want to say yes, but I don't know Panther to Tiger. I suggest grabbing a portable drive or a partition of you have one and saving a disc image of your current drive before proceeding, that way you can restore to normal with zero problems. I'll outline the process below, just ignore it if you already know how to. :)

1. Download Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/

2. Select your system drive as your source.

3. As your target, select "new disc image"

4. Follow instrux and clone

NOTE--you will need to download an older version of CCC as the current will not run on Panther. There is DEFINITELY a version of CCC for Panther though.

Then you can restore if anything goes wrong. Good luck!

3. McNut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanxs "disconap" for the info and suggestions. ... And as good (and most sensible) as they are, I'm afraid I do not have a portable drive (or the extra $'s to get one at the moment :( ... )
    ... So I'm afraid I'm going to have to find a different solution.

BUT, I really do appreciate your input anyway. So thank you very much for replying !!! :)

4. Salmar macrumors regular

Now I am not an expert at this but I believe if you do an archive and install it should keep your mobile settings intact. I also have a mobile broadband connection and during your archive and install there should be a choice to keep all your network settings intact. When I installed snow leopard over leopard I opted to keep all my network settings and everything transferred over to snow leopard just fine. I was still able to get online without a problem. It may or not work for you but I would give it a try. I know the hassle of trying to get online with mobile broadband initially. It wasn't easy. Doing an archive and install SHOULD keep all your settings providing you choose the option to retain your network settings when you first start the archive and install operation.

5. McNut thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya "Salmar"...Thank you very much for that ! :) I'm very glad to hear it !
    You've given me the confidence to go ahead and give it a go then. ... (*fingers crossed*)