Will an AT&T iPhone get data charges on a global SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinay427, Jul 25, 2009.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Hey,

I'm leaving to Europe tomorrow and got a global SIM card that works in Europe. It costs 99c a minute for outgoing and I don't even want to know what the data charges are. Anyway, will an AT&T iPhone with Yellowsn0w rack up data charges on it or not because of a different APN or something. It's prepaid so I don't want to run out of credit. If it will, what's the easiest way to disable data? Thanks a lot!

vinay427

2. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Anyone? I'm leaving tomorrow so I really could use a reply before then. Thanks! :)

3. Legolai macrumors member

just disable data roaming in settings>general>network and just slide off data roaming.

4. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Thanks but I thought Data Roaming is when you have your naitve SIM and you are out of the country with that same SIM? Like if I keep my AT&T SIM in and go to Europe.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I see what you're saying, since the data roaming turned off only works when you are outside your carrier. So, that probaby won't work with the Global SIM. You might just have to go in airplane mode, and turn it off when you need to make calls.

6. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I would do that but then I can't receive calls. Is there a way to do it with a fake APN or something?

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just by going to the www.unlockit.co.nz via your iPhone you can fix the APN to prevent any data usage.

Note: Please make sure you have Javascript turned on (the default)
    Settings..Safari..Javascript On

Dave