Will an external battery go bad without a charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Lostsol, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Lostsol macrumors regular

I just got the monoprice 2200 mAh battery and I doubt I'll use it except for airline travel. Will it go bad if I don't use it for extended periods of time?

Hopefully not a dumb question but I actually love the battery (great deal for price) and hope to keep it working fir as long as possible.

2. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

To understand the answer first you must understand how a battery works. Essentially a battery, for example double A, will work with the movement of electrons in the liquid from the positive to negative end and vice verse. If you've ever left a remote or other electronic device that hasn't been used in a long time, you're familiar with the 'rust like' residue the battery leaves once you open the electronic device to remove the batteries. In simple terms, the battery corrodes the electronic device if it's not used. Why, you might (or might not) ask? Well, without getting technical, the liquid inside the battery will leak/expand/escape/whatever you decide to call it. Even with moderate usage, this will happen; however, it is less noticeable.

To summarize: Use the battery moderately if you are unable to use it constantly. Furthermore, avoid storing the external batteries in areas of high temperatures as this will expedite the corrosion/leaking process of the batteries inside your external battery charger. Room temperature or lower is a good rule to follow.

EDIT: I have an external battery myself, and I just use it once every now and then to charge my phone rather than plugging it into the wall. It keeps the charger in good shape!

3. Lostsol thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the science lesson. ;) And seriously... I figured a charge every now and then would keep it from "dying". Good info.