Will an iPad do this job ?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by foz405, Nov 14, 2013.

1. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

I know next to nothing about iPads, and want some general advice as to whether an iPad satisfy the following requirements easily. Too, if I am to buy an iPad (I prefer used), what models should I look for ?

I wish to bring all my jpeg or tiff files from my slide collection onto a device, and be able to scroll through the photos, from various start points which I would select on the day, and treat the iPad as an electronic photo album.
    I have no intention of doing anything else with it. I'm hoping it will enable me, as an old person, to easily view my family and holiday photos instead of dragging the projector and screen up from downstairs (after I convert the slides, of course).

I'm thinking the iPad, which is about 8"x10" will give me a nice clear image of each file, and hoping it will be easy to operate as I wish.
    I could ask the salesman, but they soon see when you know nothing and I don't want to waste time and money on something useless.

Thanking you in advance.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I think it's a great device when used as a picture viewer; however, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were to buy it for that purpose and end up doing a lot more with it. I purchased an iPad for my parents (in 60's who have no idea on how to use a computer and just want to keep in touch with family) and now they are masters in social networking with family (using Skype and FaceTime) and love the device more than anything.

I'd recommend buying it - playing with it for a month and returning it, if you do not like it, before it's return period expires.

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My iPad is often used a digital picture frame upon my desk at work but that is tip of the iceberg for what it can be used for...

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Will an iPad do this job ?

I think the iPad is the easiest to use for taking and viewing photos. My grandpa has an iPad 1 and he loves it for viewing photos.
    iPad has tons of other features as well. I think you have a use for it in many other ways.

5. TmanATL, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

TmanATL macrumors member

you're not sure if an iPad can display photos???

That's one of the more basic basic tasks an iPad can do. And ANY and all tablets and smart phones can do this - many wayyyyyyy cheaper than an iPad. few digital devices with a screen won't do this, actually

If that's all you want to do with an iPad I'd seriously consider looking at a cheaper option.

6. dannynjoni macrumors member

A cheaper option? Hey it's his money and I don't see anywhere where he asks for financial advice ;)

Either way the iPad is actually the BEST device for someone with limited knowledge or experience. There may be a bit of a learning curve when transferring pictures to the iPad (ask your kids or grand kids) but after that it's clear sailing. Actually, the Genius Bar at any Apple store is perfect for getting started. You will find a lot of support there as well as in the Apple community as a whole.

Also the iPad has the best screen AND screen ratio among tablets for viewing pictures IMO. I would recommend the full-size iPad over the mini in this instance but that's just me. I am a photography hobbiest.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I always help my grandpa with his iPad. I'm 16 and know mostly everything about iOS.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There are ways to make it effortless on Grandpa's part for using it a just a digital picture frame. Someone else can load the pictures even remotely by putting them on iCloud.

9. SenorDD, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

SenorDD macrumors newbie

From my experience, you can copy images on to it fairly easily, but organizing them is a pain. You can organize them into separate albums, but you can't organize what order they appear in within those albums. You might need to buy some separate apps for that. The 16gb wifi model should be large enough if you don't intend to do anything other than put photos on it. Get a 4th generation wifi only one if you can still find it at any stores which would be a bit cheaper than the latest model, the ipad air. You could also get a 2nd generation ipad which would be cheaper, but the image quality won't be as sharp as on a newer model.