Will an iPad Mini be too big?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cnguyen0320, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 is just barely small enough to hold in one hand for people with small hands (like many women). With a bigger screen of 7.85, will the iPad Mini be too big to hold in one hand? Especially with a very small bevel (rumor has it that it'll be like the iPhone side bevel) you wouldn't be able to hold it with your thumb on the bevel. I want to buy my mom a small device but I need to know if the iPad Mini will be graspable with one hand.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What and see if Apple releases such a device. If so check the dimensions. Until then Keep calm and carry on.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You might want to wait for the iPad Mini Nano, smaller than a mini but larger than an iPod Touch... :p

4. cnguyen0320 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, im not waiting 5 years. thanks though ;)

5. irDigital0l Guest

6. cnguyen0320 thread starter macrumors regular

well then I might as well get a full sized iPad

7. gorskiegangsta, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Won't be sure until the darn thing is actually released, but if the bezel size is uniform all around as the regular iPad, then I guess not.
    [​IMG]

If, however, the side bezel size is slimmed down (alike to iPhone and iPod Touch) as outlined in recent rumors, then you may very well be able to hold it in one hand, assuming you can already grasp a 7" tablet in one hand.
    [​IMG]

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Who said iPad users had two hands?

9. irDigital0l Guest

are you missing one by any chance or do you have three or you an octopus? :p

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You are asking the Internet if a rumored device with secret dimensions will be small enough to be graspable by an unknown person?

Well you came to the right place then! I can definitively say yes. :p

11. Ztormie macrumors regular

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If you make this rumored device much smaller, don't you have an iPod Touch? I mean seriously, if you can hold it in one hand, it's not going to be very much bigger, is it? And in that case, why call it an iPad Mini? Why not call it an iPod Touch Max?

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I agree. If it goes two small it defeats the point. I'm guessing it'll be roughly the same size as the Nexus 7. To get an extra .85" in screen size only increases the size of the tablet by a tiny amount.

14. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

At first, I was very excited about the possibility of an iPad mini but the more I've thought about it, I'm not too sure that it wouldn't be too small. I've played around with my wife's Nook Color running various apps as well as browsing the web and I'm finding a big difference in usability between it and my iPad 1. I notice this especially in browsing the web. Using my wife's Nook is a lot less satisfactory for web browsing than my iPad. About the only thing I like better on the Nook is reading eBooks. The smaller size and ease of holding is a lot better on the Nook. So I guess right now, I'm just going to wait and see. I know I will not order a mini until I've had a chance to compare it side by side with my iPad 1. As much as I need an upgraded iPad, I will probably just wait and upgrade my iPad 1 with the release of the next full size iPad.

15. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The rumored screen size of the iPad mini is 7.85" which is definitely not small. They're just cutting down the bezel, not the screen size.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Which is why Apple is not going to release an iPad mini. They've already hit the perfect size.

17. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Nexus 7 just about fits into a jean back pocket :)

Good size, very good size, and since it has such a high resolution it renders most webpages fine to fit on page.

I hope this iPad mini will have a high resolution too... but doubt it.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

or more so.
    will the ipad mini even be?

19. Talon Six macrumors member

lmao!

20. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Depends on your hand. Large and Firm, no problem. Small and Sagging go with a Nexus. :apple:

21. jlinear macrumors member

I believe it will be called the iPad "Mickey."

22. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I find that when i use my 7 inch tablet i have to hold it with two hands, but others might not need to. Whereas on the iPhone, it's easy to hold it one handed in comparison.

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

24. i0Nic macrumors 65816

It will be very light, lighter than the Nexus7, so shouldn't be too hard to hold up in one hand. Even if it is a little bigger.

Or, just get her an iPod touch and tell her it's an iPad nano.

----------

Well that goes without saying doesn't it? The iPhone is far smaller than your 7 inch tablet, and it's designed for one-handed operation.

It's like saying, I find this rock heavy to carry and it strains my back, but this pebble is no problem.

25. Tomacorno macrumors regular

It seems like there is some kind of dig in that post, but I can't put my finger on it...

When I get home I am going to measure my pockets. People who say a 7" is pocket sized seem to be exaggerating down to make the size seem more desirable. I do put my phone in my front pocket. Seems to me that the 7" is too big for a front pocket and I would not feel the device was safe from breakage in my back pocket.