Will an iPhone connect to wifi for testing purposes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mahatmabobby, Nov 19, 2011.

1. mahatmabobby macrumors newbie

I am buying a cheap used iPhone for testing purposes while learning to create iOS apps. I do not want to activate it or pay $70/month just to be able to use it for testing while working on my app projects at home.
    (broke ass student already using a cheap flip phone)

Do I need to activate it, or can it get internet access via my 802.11 wifi linksys wireless G ? trying to do this cheaply and creatively.

thanks in advance
    (yes I am an apple newbie)

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

If it comes with a valid SIM, even an inactive one, then that will activate for you. If you can't come up with a SIM, then programs like redsn0w will hacktivate for you so you can use it as an ipod.

3. mahatmabobby thread starter macrumors newbie

will I be able to access the wifi and test my apps for class? it's probably never going to be used as an active phone or data device.

thanks

4. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes

5. mahatmabobby thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome! thanks guys.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. mahatmabobby thread starter macrumors newbie

i assumed i needed an iphone to build and test an iphone app but it does look like the touch would work too. (like I said, I'm a newbie)

i think I am just going to pay the apple store a visit.