Will an iPhone work (well) without a phone plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jun 8, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Lately I've been eyeing to purchase an iPod Touch to not have to carry around my Macbook everywhere I go. Lately I've had my Macbook in my Incase backpack everywhere I go. Everywhere. Even if I'm going to go hang out with friends for the night, i'll take my Macbook in its backpack and leave it in the car just in case. Stuff can and has come up where I'll need to type something up or whatever.

Well, I've been wanting to purchase an iPod Touch to use apps such as OmniFocus to get productivity done and check email, have my calendar with me at all times, etc, etc, etc.

I don't need a 16GB iPod Touch and eBay has great prices for an 1st Gen iPod Touch for somewhere around $130. 2nd Gen 8GB Touch goes for around $150-$170.

After watching the keynote I thought, if the iPhone 3G is now only $99, why not just purchase that? Obviously what came to mind is if that price requires to activate the phone with AT&T, and also if the phone would even work properly since it would not be activated with a phone company...?

Personally, the only reason I'd prefer a 2nd Gen iPod Touch or iPhone would be to have the microphone capability being able to use Skype when in Wifi Mode, and with the iPhone to take pictures and transfer them to my Mac.

Any insight on this matter is really greatly appreciated. I'll reply fast, I promise.

:]

2. sd2009 macrumors 6502

You cant buy it without signing a contract lol.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You can look on ebay/craigslist and pick a used 3G/1st Gen someone is trying to get rid of to upgrade to the 3Gs.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

No tethering, no text, no phone.

It's an ipod touch with only having certain functions available when you are within a WiFi spot.

So no, it doesn't work well.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

such a funny thread title... :D

I'd assume that an iPhone needs a phone plan in order for the phone to function as a phone...

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Most likely would either get it by purchasing it on eBay or stealing someone's iPhone this Sunday at Church.

Most likely the route I'd wanna take, only if I could still get onto WiFi networks, use the camera feature and be able to transfer those photos to my mac when connected, etc. I wouldn't mind not being able to make phone calls, i'd only want to use the microphone when using Skype when connected to a WiFi network. I could care less about not having 3G or Edge, but don't want this iPhone to be a crutch against the iPod Touch, if they iPod Touch could do more.

The way i'm seeing this right now is that a non activated iPhone could do more than a regular iPod Touch since it has the camera and microphone built in...

I would love for you to elaborate on this. I feel like you had a good thought going on the matter but just gave me the teaser. What certain functions are available are only available on WiFi? That wouldn't be any different than the iPod Touch..

Could care less about the phone functionality. I have a phone.

7. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

Along the same line...

I have a 3G 16GB iPhone. I am going to upgrade it at a cost to the 3Gs. I was going to sell the old one on eBay but I need to know something first. My granddaughter wants an iPod Touch for her birthday.

When I switch over to the new iPhone and deactivate the old one, can I still use it as an iPod Touch? By that I mean will I be able to access Wi Fi and all the other features except the phone and data that I currently have? I will upgrade it to 3.0 so that will be current. I have read so many different answers to this question and want to make sure as I can then give this to my granddaughter and save the cost of a new iPod Touch.