Will an iPod touch ever come with speakers and camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I want a phone-less iPhone. GPS, 3G aren't important to me.
    Will apple ever make a "real" phoneless iPhone?
    If not, I guess I'll be buying a 1st gen iPhone and jailbreak/activate it.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Speakers... maybe. Camera... maybe. I could see it for the iPod Touch but no one knows for sure. At any rate, these updates would come September, or later (possibly MWSF '09), or not at all.

4. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Wrong forum?

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

What does Apple have to lose by offering camera and speakers?
    It is not as if many are buying an iphone just for the camera and speakers.
    And the ipod Touch is more expensive than the iphone. Why does a $399 iPod have less than a $199 iPhone?

I want to get my hands on a 3G iphone.. and hacktivate it.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I doubt Apple will do any of these, but if it were up to ME they really should add speakers.

The camera and GPS...I can understand reserving those for the phone.

But the speaker function is the BEST advertising Apple ever did. Every time someone shows a YouTube video to their friends on their iPhone, everyone gathers around and gets jealous of the iPhone.

It's perfect marketing. Free and viral. Why Apple wouldn't want that same effect with Touch owners is beyond me.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    you'd be much better off buying a 1st gen iphone on ebay. because of the iphone 3g you should be able to find one as cheap as $100. WAY cheaper than the touch wil ever be

8. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I just sold my old iPhone for $350 in anticipation of the new one.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that the orig iPhone is going to be go for more than $100. Why? Because it will be the ONLY iphone that you can get that can be unlocked or activated. The 3G iPhone MUST be activated at the time of sale, and so there will be no way to buy these things unless you have a contract with AT&T.

Is it possible that the old iPhone will be more expensive than the new one?:)

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It might eat into the other iPod sales way too much? I don't know what's keeping Apple from doing it.

Well I thought that too, but if you have to pay a minimum of $75 a month for a cell phone plan, you've just made up the price difference in about 2 months. The iPhone costs close to $2000 or something like that over 2 years.

10. iStefmac macrumors regular

Wow @ the thought process that created this thread.

11. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Camera and speaker(phone) were added to compete with other phones.

Apple is very minimalist with features (see Macbook Air ports) and usually adds only features that are necessary and useful.

iPods are still media viewing/playing devices and a camera (though an added bonus) doesn't really quite fit in that theme. There are 3rd party accessories that would sound better than tiny speakers integrated with the iPod.

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

YEAH CLEEEVEEERRRRR, why would they kill the gem in their crown? why would they expose their revenue-raking-in iPhone to competition?

THINKKKKKKKKKK

13. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

It already does... Its called the iPhone :) o and there is a new one coming out the 11th July!

14. isimon1207 macrumors member

not only is it highly unlikely that the new iPod will have new features, but it is also very unlikely that they will even come out with a new iPod untill iPhone V3. Why would they manufacture a completely new iPod when the only real upgrade to the iPhone is 3g, which iPod will not have

15. minorguy macrumors newbie

I'm with you. I don't need a cell phone and don't want a $2000 contract. But I would like the rest. I guess it doesn't matter if you call it an iPhone without the phone or an iPod Touch with a camera and speakers and maybe bluetooth. And it should also have the software development kit like the new iPhone. How about an iPDA sort of thing?

Soberbrain, do you really think a camera doesn't fit in with being a "media viewing/playing device"? I think it fits that perfectly by definition. It fits more than being included in a phone.