Will an On-the-Spot Drunken Fine affect me becoming a teacher?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've applied to Birmingham University, and been accepted. :)

I've applied for my accommodation, to which they have said is all fine and that there is spaces in my chosen halls.

However, I've got return a CRB check to them tomorrow.

This is because I'll be working with minors, mainly small children. Its to check I'm not a paedophile.

With them searching your complete criminal background, it brings up every little blip.

Last year, I was put into a police cell and fined for being too drunk. I was fined £70, and promptly paid. I was never convicted of a crime, and I never appeared in court.

The university said that should something come back on the report, and it was a danger, they might consider revoking their offer.

How bad would a university look at this? It is the only thing I have ever done wrong, in the eyes of the law.

A girl who I know, who is studying nursing and midwifery was convicted of assault and actually had a criminal record. The university interviewed her regarding these 'issues' on her CRB check, and were satisfied with her answers therefore let her continue on to become a student and begin the course.

In my eyes, this is a lot worse than being fined for being too drunk.

The university says they will investigate such matters. I'm guessing that means there's a chance they'll interview me and get my side of the story, and too see I'm competent and responsible and not a wreckless idiot?

Someone in the know, or who has an idea please, please get back to me. I should be starting on the 22nd. :(

2. djellison macrumors 68020

Ask them. Infact, it would have made sense to disclose earlier if and when appropriate.

I actually did a year of Electronic Engineering at B'ham - and to be honest, the admin side was a strange, unusual, unpredictable and occasionally wierd beast. I couldn't predict how they'd call it.

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

in aus if no conviction is made then no record is made. hope that makes you feel better. :D

i would think most sensible people would see it as a one off.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Exactly! There are much worse crimes. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. If someone told you they had been locked up one night when drunk you wouldn't think of them as being a danger to children!

Still, it might be worth airing your concerns with the university. If there is anything they have to do because of it (like having to have an interview) being open and honest about it will help to stop it being a big issue.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. Agree with above post, and with furious.

Besides, what student has not had an occasional drunken night? It is all part of life's rich fabric. Moreover, you may even end up teaching youngsters whose parents are in and out of prison; if you end up teaching in a deprived area, you most certainly will see the effects of deprivation in the school. Thus, I'd argue, that such an experience can actually be helpful in being able to understand a bit more of life and what the students might be experiencing.

Put it down to experience; if it becomes an issue, explain to the college that you admitted it, paid up, and don't expect to be in that situation again. It will all help make you an excellent teacher.

Cheers and good luck

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

depends if you was actually charged with a public order offense, if so then it will be on your record but after 3 years you don't have to mention it under the 1974 Rehabilitation of offenders act But a CRB check will include Any Convictions, Warnings or fines, I have a friend that's a lecturer in Electrical engineering, and he's very wary about being involved in anything that could get him in trouble because of the CRB checks they do on him.

You need to take better advice, contact a uni/college, just explain the situation and see what they say, you don't have to mention your name just that your interesting in teaching.:)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    To be honest, I suspect it's a case of 'there but for the grace of god, go many of us'. Many of us have ended up drunk at some point but weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time to get a fine.

However, it happened and it's going to come up on your CRB from what you say so there's not much you're going to be able to do except wait and see. Does the form you have to return have space for you to add any information about any fines/convictions? If not, it might be worthwhile putting in a covering letter with the details. I wouldn't make excuses in it - just say that you've learned from that mistake and it hasn't happened again.

Good luck.

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Of a truth, it shouldn't come up. If it does, it's not something that should effect your job hopes.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But everyone is already related to a fugitive. ;) Standards may be different in the UK.

And I'm surprised that police would even keep a record of such an event. I thought this was just their way of protecting you from yourself, much like jaywalkers. Even if you were given a ticket, you wouldn't have it on your record (or they really shouldn't waste their time with things like that).

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Called the Admissions and CRB-checking team this morning and they were grateful I'd told them.

She said that people had done worse and got on courses before, and she couldn't see it posing a problem - although she'd have to inform my tutor as she gets the final decision.

Hopefully it will be ok. My loan is sorted out, and my student overdraft, and accommodation is in the works - so with a bit of luck, 3 weeks and I'll be there.

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Good luck with your course! Doesn't sound like you will have a problem :)

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It looks like you did the right thing in this case, as it is always best for you to be the one telling them rather than them finding it out on their own, it just shows honesty. If they ever ask if there is anything that they should know that may pop up or something that may not make you qualified, be honest, it just shows them that you are honest and have learned from your mistake (hopefully).