Will an SSD Make a MBP like An Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HussamRaed, Jul 5, 2011.

1. HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

I mean The Snappy performance of the Air, Will it come if i added an SSD to the Pro? (Boot times, Launching apps, And such....)? and if so, Which SSD Should i buy?

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes.

Kingston V+ 100, Samsung 470 or Intel 320 are good SATA II SSDs for Mac.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

In theory yes, in reality it might be a tad slower. One of the reasons the MBA is so quick is because of the minimal circuitry (due to size constraints) so connections don't have to travel as far on the board. But an SSD and 4GB ram combo should make the difference minimal.

As for an SSD, I'd go for an Intel 510 or another SATA III SSD to maximize future proofing your MBP.:)

4. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I respectfully disagree. SSDs are not something you want to "future proof", at the moment. The price of NAND flash is going down rapidly. You'd be better off buying a drive that your computer can utilize at the moment (if your Mac is SATA II, not SATA III). In one year SSDs will be substantially less money ($150 for 128GB and $350-400 for 256GB would be my guess). Save your money instead of wasting it in an attempt to "future proof" the drive.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

In this current generation, the MBP is quite a bit faster than the Air when the MBP has an SSD installed. There is a comparison on YouTube of the two side-by-side.

I don't have the URL to hand I'm afraid, but someone had posted it in the last day or two in the MacBook air section. I'm sure if you go to YouTube you'll find it in seconds.

This may change with the new models, assuming the rumours about 19nm soldered flash storage are true.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Agreed. Every time I read "future proof" on these boards, I die a little inside. ;) Don't worry about future proofing.

7. darrellishere macrumors 6502

get the sad! its the best thing you can ever do for your computer! Before I had to treat it like a baby just incase the heads scratched the disk! Now i can through it down the side of the sofa, turn it upside down and shake it and throw it around like you would a macbook air! Liberating. Instead of that constant humming, vibration, battery drain and change of use, knowing you have something spinning inside with all your data! And waiting for it to go to sleep LOL ;)

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

HOLY F! So much mis-information!

You do realize it only takes light 8 minutes to reach the Earth from the Sun right? Electricity moves pretty quick as well, even with resistors. A few extra inches of circuitry won't make the much more powerful CPU slower at all. The MBP will be faster than the MBA due to better processor, etc.

Also, future proofing SSD is stupid. Like someone else said, the price of SSD's will drop in the next few years, DRASTICALLY. Also, as mentioned on a number of other threads on here, SATA III SSD's are really unstable on the new 2011 MBP's. It's much safer to just stick with a SATA II SSD for now to avoid problems.

9. ahdickter macrumors 6502

When comparing 2010 MBA (Core 2 Duo) to a 2011 MBP, the MBP is faster. Once the MBA's get ULV Sandy Bridge CPU's, MBA might have a slight edge.

And maybe comparing SSD's to future proofing wasn't a good idea. :D

10. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

YES!!! This is exactly how I felt before buying a SSD. Flash storage in a hard drive is, in my opinion, the best thing that has happened to computing in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm just a little too excited...

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I would totally buy you a cookie.

12. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Yes, an SSD would make a MBP very similar to an MBA in speed, if not faster due to speedier processors.

I would upgrade now if you have the funds to do so, but as many have stated, prices for SSDs should drop soon.

The effect an SSD has on a computer, is IMO, amazing.

13. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Why not wait till the refreshed MBA are released then make your decision?

14. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Check DetroitBORG's youtube user's channel for a comparison between a MBA and a MBP w/SSD.

15. HussamRaed thread starter macrumors regular

HussamRaed

thanks everyone for the comments,
    but a little stupid question (Am new here :rolleyes: )
    What is IMO ?

16. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

"In My Opinion"

You might also see "IMHO" = In My Honest Opinion

And even less often - "IMDO" = In My Dishonest Opinion. This one is usually used by liars who are actually telling the truth. Or someone telling the truth about how they're about to lie. Or both.

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I assumed the OP already has a MBP or has already decided on a MBP and was only asking whether or not a SSD would speed up his system.

In that case, the answer is a sure YES!

If not, I would wait for the Air if you are comparing the 2.

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Err, I didn't?

It's beneficial to read something before flapping your virtual gums. As I said, and as someone else has said; DetroitBORG's YouTube channel has a 2010 MBP w/SSD vs 2010 MBA comparison video. The MBP is shown to be faster, by quite a lot.

MacBook Air will always be slower than a Pro, regardless of CPU, as they require low voltage chips.

The point I was making, and that the OP asked about, was the SSD storage making the biggest difference, it's clear in the MacBook Pro, at least, that the biggest obvious boost in system performance is made by switching out the HD for an SSD.

19. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Holly F!
    So much misinformation in your statement. The light takes 8.3 minutes from Sun to Earth

20. lukekarts macrumors regular

I feel I'm in a good position to answer this.

My gf got a MBA at the weekend (1.86ghz C2D, 128gb SSD), and last night, I just installed an Intel 320 SSD to my early 2009 MacBook (2.06ghz, unibody, 2008+ model, before they called them 'Pro').

And performance, at least in terms of startup, program loading etc, is almost identical. I'd imagine a MBP from 2010 onwards, with the benefit of faster processors, would far outperform the Air.

21. marc11 macrumors 68000

This may be the worst post ever. To the OP, an SSD will improve the performance of your MBP to a conisderable degree. As for memory, that really depends on how many applications you run at the same time, apples to apples, just net browsing or email 4 or 8 gigs of ram isn't going to make a huge difference unless you open a lot of tabs. Same can be said of the SSD, if all you do is email or net browsing, then sure, boot up and app opening time will be faster, otherwise, the act of browsing or email will be the same.

22. Vook macrumors member

Vook

I thought it was the heat of the Sun that took 8 min to get to Earth. So I was wrong........