Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrrej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
hello, i hope this thread gets answered and not lost in the ios5 clutter.

i am plannign on buying an off contract iphone 4s once its available and giving it to my cousin in taiwan as a gift. he already has an iphone 4 in taiwan. so my question is he gets the iphone 4s unlocked will it be the same 3G frequency as his current iphone 4? or will it be unlocked but restricted to EDGE only?

i hope someone would know the answer to this. the att store seems to have no clue.. thanks!

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
As long as Taiwan has the same frequencies that the iPhone supports, you will get full/regular 3G speeds on the 4S.

yrrej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
if they already have an iphone 4 in taiwan on 3g, can we assume the iphone 4s has the same 3g frequency?

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I was able to get 3G on my iPhone 4 w/ 中華, but service was awful, even compared to AT&T here in the states. But it's better than nothing...

If you're in Taipei, sign up for the city-wide Wifi service. It's everywhere, even in MRT stations. I think it's ~300 NT per month for mobile devices.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
I was able to get 3G on my iPhone 4 w/ 中華, but service was awful, even compared to AT&T here in the states. But it's better than nothing...

If you're in Taipei, sign up for the city-wide Wifi service. It's everywhere, even in MRT stations. I think it's ~300 NT per month for mobile devices.

I disagree.
I was able to use a GeveySIM to roam on "FarEasTone" for about $20 (for an entire week) ... Unlimited 3G data, including tethering.

Service was fantastic. I was even able to work tethered on my MacBook while on the train moving at high speeds through rural areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.