Will an unlocked iPhone work on Voodafone in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mongrel73, Jul 19, 2009.

1. mongrel73 macrumors newbie

It's legal to buy an unlocked iPhone here in Hong Kong, but it isn't where I live in the UK. In the UK you have to get an O2 contract in order to get an iPhone. In my house only vodafone gets reception and I've already got a good contract with vodafone, so I don't want to switch to O2.

So if I buy the iPhone here (from Apple, so it is legit), then take it back to England and put in my vodafone sim card, will it work?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. FuriousD macrumors member

If unlocked then now worries. I have been using a 2GB on vodafone for the last 12 months no problem. I but it from the CPW when they dropped the price just before the 3G came out. Took it home unlocked, jailbraked, and hacktivated it so i did not need to sign up to O2 and get them to activate the phone.

D

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

5. Ringu macrumors member

vodaphone

Just another confirmation here - bought an unlocked iPhone 3Gs from Italy (Vodafone Italia) a couple of days ago. It works perfectly using a UK Vodafone sim card.

Just activate using iTunes and sync up. Couldn't be more simple.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Just to inform though that push apps will not work with push.

7. dazey macrumors 6502

8. dazey macrumors 6502

Are you sure this is the case with factory unlocked phones? I thought this was only true of hacked devices on other networks but I may be wrong.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I misread, but I am not sure in this case. Since the iPhone is factory unlocked, it should theoretically work, however, further investigation into the APNS data reveal that carrier information is also sent for identification, so, unless Vodafone-UK is an approved carrier, it may not work.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It works on Centennial and T-Mobile in the U.S., and they're not approved carriers.

BOOM, 604!

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Then it should work.