Will any drive 3.5" go in?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juliancs, Jan 28, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

Sorry if this sounds hilarious to those in the know. I'm planning to get a Mac Pro, and have two external HD's that I don't use anymore. They are 320GB and 1TB, and 7200rpm, so not too bad. Could I open up the enclosures they are in (they are powered), and take the drive out and slot it into my Mac Pro? Or would this not work for some reason.

Thanks!

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

As long as they're SATA.. its just plug & go...

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

SAS drives are also supported with the appropriate RAID card.

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

is IDE not SATA? Am I looking at that right? Sorry. How do I find out what the drive is?

EDIT: Nevermind, ripped the thing open. This is fun :D

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

No they are different. IDE has the big wide gray cable for connections and a SATA drive has a narrow cable (usually black)...

6. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it said IDE on the amazon info, but when I took the actual drive out of it's big casing, it says SATA on the drive..

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Fixed :D

8. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it was in an enclosure, and connected to that via two cables. Both small, one very thin. It says SERIAL ATA on the drive it's self.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Serial ATA = SATA (shorter acronym that saves typing :p)

Given that's the case, you can stuff them into a MP. The trays are the easiest, but there are other ways as well. But for those, we'd need specifics to the particular maching (different port counts, how they can be used based on the exact MP model, drives already installed,...)

10. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

No thanks, will shove them in the tray!

Just copying all my files onto my 1TB external. Sorting out loads of stuff, deleting more. Like moving house "oh look, there's that!" "oh man I still have this" kinda feeling. Slowly packing up my macbook pro to move to the big city Quad :D I seriously can't wait. With the GTX in there already, I won't need a playstation, and I'm not going to see a system overload ever again in Logic. The warranty is until June this year. I can go and get an applecare in May, right?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd think so, since it can be transferred from one user to another (follows the system, not the user).