Will any dvd burner work on emac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chillined1212, May 14, 2010.

1. chillined1212 macrumors member

I am upgrading my emac 1ghz (ati graphics) hard drive. There is a 40gb hard drive in there noew and I am going to upgrade the hard drive to another one that I have had 100gb. Anyway, I thought since I am taking pretty much the whole computer apart to do it, I might want to replace the cd drvie to a dvd burner! I want to know if I can put any dvd burner in there. Any company, blah blah.

Here is the specs of the dvd burner:

LITE-ON IT CORP.
    DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE
    MODEL SOH-1633S

DC 5V 1.5A
    DC 12V 1.5A

MODEL (ON AGAIN WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER BUT LONGER NUMBER)
    SOHW-1633S50C

Manufactured Date : March 2005

Will it work fine in my emac?

I would love to have it work

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Pretty Much. DVD Burners use a common language, so it should work.

TEG

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just to note, the XLR8YourMac drive database has reports from people on a lot of specific drives and Mac combinations:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

That said, most DVD burners will work just fine without having to do anything if you're running a relatively new version of OSX. Do keep in mind that you need an IDE (PATA) burner, not a SATA one, which are increasingly common. The one you mentioned is IDE, I think.

If you already have the drive it's not going to hurt anything to try--worst it will do is not work. If you don't, an alternative, if you want to be paranoid, is to just buy from OWC, since they guarantee it'll work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/static_pages/Framework.cfm?page=superdrive/sdl_emac.html

4. chillined1212 thread starter macrumors member

thanks! I am going to look on the website, and see! I am going to hope it does, because if it doesn't, then I have to open the whole machine up again!