Will any eSATA ExpressCard/34 card work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppc_michael, May 22, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm looking to buy an eSATA ExpressCard for my Macbook Pro and some of them only mention being compatible with XP/Vista. Should I pay attention to that or are they just being silly?

2. mayassa macrumors regular

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

From my experience it's hard to say. I have gotten some card readers and PCI cards that say "works with XP/VISTA" that haven't worked with Mac OS X. But then again, they might not have worked at all.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

linky?

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's only an in-store deal. Call before you drive!

6. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

7. HastaLaVista macrumors member

FYI: I was going to go the eSATA route with an external drive (myBook Studio). Then I found out that you can't connect/disconnect the drive while the MBP is powered on. You'd have to power down the laptop to connect or disconnect (not sleep). Since I want to be able to grab and go, I am trying out the FW800 approach first (great since the cables were included with the drive). If I see the need for extra speed (incremental at this point) I can always go the eSATA route. So far, FW800 is doing it for me.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

what? you can disconnect/eject/reconnect the external esata drive just like any other. Ejecting the controller card, however, is different. You have to "power down" the card before removing it or you risk getting a kernel panic. But for the drives, the card is "hot-swappable".

also due to its drivers, you have a chance of kernel panics when you insert the card with the computer on.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the hundreds of times I've plugged and unplugged the card and cables while the computer is on, I've never had any issues.

10. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Sorry guys, was just going by what I'd read. I should have known better. . .

This is good info and another reason to switch to eSATA over FW.

Thanks.

11. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

YMMV. I suppose it really depends on what card / drivers you are using!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. mcbeej macrumors member

I'm using that driver as well on a PC esata card.

I have two drives, one in a fairly cheap/cheerful USB/esata enclosure which works fine, and a myBook Studio. I find the myBook Studio tends to hang after a while (half an hour or so of inactivity) and so I've gone back to using that one over Firewire for now.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you mean when it goes to sleep? I believe that is power saving feature and plus it extends the life of the drive. I like the feature... :rolleyes: