Will ANY PC mouse work with a mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluesTank, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

I had 2 kernel panics as soon as I got my mac, and I suspected it might be because I was using my old 4 year old Dell PC mouse. I stopped using it and I haven't had a kernel panic since (although it might just be luck).

I was wondering if it was possible for my old mouse to be causing the problem. I am also in the market for a NEW mouse, and I don't want to get one if it will cause problems. Is there any way to tell if it is compatible? Is it possible it was the mouse in the first place?

Finally, does anyone have a suggestion for a good mouse for ~$20 or less that they haven't had problems with?

Thanks

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Using a Dell mouse on my new MacBook Pro. Used this same mouse on a previous Powerbook, iBook, and MacBook.

Your mouse may be causing Kernel panics, but I doubt it as most any 3rd party mouse will work fine with a Macintosh.

No suggestion on a mouse, it is a personal choice IMHO.

[​IMG]

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

That's really odd. In general, you should be able to use any mouse. Any USB mouse will work.

I use a Kensington trackball, which is probably not what you're looking for.

4. nubee macrumors member

I use a Rocketfish Mini Optical Mouse. I've used the same mouse for 2 years on my Toshiba, and now I'm using it on my MB. It works fine.

5. troublesomekila macrumors member

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

theoretically, any mouse will WORK. more advanced ones may not be as programmable, but should still point.
    I can't think of a reason WHY your mouse would cause kernel panics, but your empirical proof seems convincing that it is the culprit. Try another from a friend or something if you can, to make sure that it is just your mouse, and not like the USB hub in your Mac. Best of luck with all this!

7. borjasanz macrumors newbie

Something compatible..... hmm lets see

Mighty Mouse? Kinda

8. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

It was my impression that the Mighty Mouse wasn't highly regarded.

Lifehacker recently did a mouse review, not Mac specific but I would think that most of them would work;

http://lifehacker.com/5054519/the-best-mouse-youve-ever-had

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I use a Logitech, I am pretty sure any USB mouse will work. Not a big fan of the Apple Might Mouse.