Will any used At&t iPhone 5 work on T-Mobile??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

Can any used At&t iPhone 5 purchased from eBay work on T-mobile's network? After purchase, will I have to call At&t to unlock the phone?
    T-mobile's LTE network is functional in my area so I'm not worried about the phone being post April 2013/AWS compatible.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

As long as AT&T unlocks it for you then it will work.

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Is something they would be willing to easily do? Is there a different 5 that I can used on T-mobile? To the best of my knowledge, the 5 for was never officially available on T-mobile.

4. kevintech macrumors 6502

Careful, even after unlocking, the older AT&T iPhone 5 will not work with work with T-Mobile's LTE bands.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not sure about their willingness, especially for someone not a subscriber etc.

But on the tech side, the iPhone since at least the 4s were fine on tmobile if they were unlocked and you sorted out the proper settings. Once the iPhone went official iOS was updated to include those settings

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

They will only do it if you're a customer out of contract I believe. Also yes there is a Tmobile iPhone 5 so if that's the carrier you want to use you should just buy that version.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That is the catch. This is someone who is looking to buy a phone used due to T mobile not giving subsidies on iPhones. Someone would isn't the original owner of said used phone and may not have ever been a customer of ATT.

----------

That is the catch. This is someone who is looking to buy a phone used due to T mobile not giving subsidies on iPhones. Someone who isn't the original owner of said used phone and may not have ever been a customer of ATT.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, it will if it's unlocked.

----------

I don't think this is correct. The older AT&T iP5 always had support for 700 and AWS (B4). AT&T had deployed LTE in AWS in some areas as early as a year ago.

The issue was that the older iPhone 5 only supported HSPA 850/1900 (AT&T's bands), and not HSPA 1700/2100 (T-Mobile's bands). So you'd get spotty HSPA on T-mobile in refarmed areas and LTE.

You really need the "upgraded" AT&T/TMobile iPhone5, which includes HSPA and LTE support on AWS.

9. kevintech macrumors 6502

Thank you for the correction!

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Are there certain serial numbers or production work weeks that qualify for this "upgrade"? Thanks.

11. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

it is also my understanding the phone requesting an unlock has to have been activated or used on the account provided through AT&T's unlock process

I speak of this from experience because I bought an iphone 4s off-contract on craigslist, and when I when to submit an unlock request using my AT&T account info, it denied my request.

I called AT&T to ask why, and they said the phone was not attached to my account or phone number, and that I had to contact whoever used that phone on their account, and have them send an unlock request.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

13. the caveman macrumors 6502

I think youll have to shell out around 100 buck for an unlock code. Att is not likely to unlock. One of the stipulation is, the phone would have to have been over the contract at that point for them to unlock it.

14. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

If you're buying from eBay, just buy the T-Mobile iPhone 5. It doesn't have to be unlocked.