Will App Store rankings freeze Dec 23-28th while iTunes Connect is down?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Piratebroadcast, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Piratebroadcast macrumors member

My App is pretty highly ranked in a top category, and Im debating increasing the price over the holidays, during the iTunes Connect freeze-out Dec23-28. My logic in this is, at 1.99, after I drop far down the list, I can decrease to .99 to get myself back up the list. If I leave it at .99 all the time, I have no options left after the inevitable drop in rankings. I understand that men have been trying to figure this out since the dawn of commerce, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anyway, Id like to increase my price on Dec 22nd, and hope the rankings stay locked during the break so I can make extra $$ without compromising list position. What do you guys think?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Probably not the best section to be posting this. I don't think you really want your customers to know that you are planning a temporary price increase over the holidays to suck an extra dollar out of them.

3. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Very nicely put Jeremy1026. I was going to make a similar comment but have decided to refrain given that it probably wouldn't make any difference.

While everyone has the right to do whatever they feel appropriate with their app, "sucking an extra dollar" (I'm quoting because I couldn't have said it any better) out of people just because the ratings will be frozen is not what I consider in the spirit of the season.

Some developers actually show their appreciation for the success of their apps during the holiday season by lowering the price of the app.

Happy Holidays everyone...

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

So, since he brought this up.

There won't be any price changes the 23-28th?

And I'd like to shout out a THANK YOU to the developers this season, I enjoy the deals you have shared with us - and i've spent my fair share on full price apps. But mainly, thanks for making the Touch so fun to own!

5. Piratebroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Response to the morality police:

You guys must be kidding. I work hard on my software, and I deserve every dollar I can get from it. Whatever..
    Happy Holidays, though, guys. Wish you all the best.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I really don't think it's that big of a deal, and I doubt anyone will notice anyway. Too bad no one could actually answer his question :rolleyes:

7. airzao macrumors newbie

Ahoy there

Firstly, I'd like to say that I think poor Pirate was a little unfairly picked on :confused: here. There are some app guys who develop apps just for fun and there are some doing it commercially. Both approaches are of course justified. And if your concern is commercial, of course you want to pick the right price point at the right times. He's not forcing anyone to do anything against their will. Nor could he. He's not a real pirate you know!

Secondly, Pirate, I think you're strategy is excellent. And judging by our movements on the :apple: Store rankings, it's not frozen yet and by my calculations, you have a couple more hours to implement! Good luck and well done getting up the charts in the first place!

Marc

8. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I say go for it as well. It's business and you should not get grief over this, businesses do it everyday and this is no different. It's all about maximizing profits while keeping customers happy and a little thing called perceived value.