Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple support iOS 7 with touch 4G?

• Yes-Along with iPhone 4 iOS 7 will be compatible

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No-Along with iPhone 4 it will be dropped

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I believe the answer is no and here is why:

-Apple ends support for a product not by specs but by date (and whether it still sells the product at Apple Stores). iPod touch 4th gen came out in Sep 2010 while iPhone 4 June 2010. The touch 4G has the same specs as iPhone 4 except iPhone has 512mb RAM.

-Apple and other stores (such as Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon) still sell the touch 4G as new. Since Apple released a new 16GB touch 4G (replacing 8GB) in 2012, the people who bought the 16GB model will have no new iOS upgrade if Apple abandons it.

-If Apple were to abandon touch 4G it would be the first retina device product Apple will kill off. While other non-retina device still receives updates- such as iPad 2 and maybe even 3GS.

-With Jony Ive re-making iOS to flat design the specs may be less demanding than current iOS. To run the OS hardware and software wise.

-3GS started the trend of Apple iOS devices receiving 4 OS versions: 3-6. iPod touch 4g only has iOS 4-6 so far.

If Apple kills the iPod touch 4g they also have to drop iPhone 4 support for iOS 7.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I will let you know on 6/10/13.

I believe the answer is no and here is why:

-Apple ends support for a product not by specs but by date (and whether it still sells the product at Apple Stores). iPod touch 4th gen came out in Sep 2010 while iPhone 4 June 2010. The touch 4G has the same specs as iPhone 4 except iPhone has 512mb RAM.

-Apple and other stores (such as Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon) still sell the touch 4G as new. Since Apple released a new 16GB touch 4G (replacing 8GB) in 2012, the people who bought the 16GB model will have no new iOS upgrade if Apple abandons it.

-If Apple were to abandon touch 4G it would be the first retina device product Apple will kill off. While other non-retina device still receives updates- such as iPad 2 and maybe even 3GS.

-With Jony Ive re-making iOS to flat design the specs may be less demanding than current iOS. To run the OS hardware and software wise.

-3GS started the trend of Apple iOS devices receiving 4 OS versions: 3-6. iPod touch 4g only has iOS 4-6 so far.

If Apple kills the iPod touch 4g they also have to drop iPhone 4 support for iOS 7.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
specs mean nothing to apple. Apple decided to give iOS 6 to the iPhone 3GS mean while dropping the iPod touch 3rd gen. and they both have almost similar specs just like the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4gen.

Goodbye Ipod Touch 4gen.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
specs mean nothing to apple. Apple decided to give iOS 6 to the iPhone 3GS mean while dropping the iPod touch 3rd gen. and they both have almost similar specs just like the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4gen.

Goodbye Ipod Touch 4gen.

The 3GS received iOS 6 because it was still being sold. At the 2012 WWDC announcement, the 3GS were being sold as new at the Apple Stores until the iPhone 5 was announced.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I could see the iPhone 4 getting a couple features, no UI changes.

iPod touch 4 will be dropped. It has like 256MB RAM. If it does get iOS 7, its going to run like crap so Apple would be doing everyone a favor by dropping support of it.

Just look what happened to the iPad 1 with iOS 5.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I have a iPod touch 4G and it already blows on iOS 6, so yes it'll be dropped. They definitely want to ensure not more people are ticked off with slow performance which they have to take care of if they decide to add iOS 7 to iPod touch 4G. Only the iPhone 4 will get some features because like someone said, it will still be sold prior to the announcement of iPhone 5S

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
I'd guess that the iPod touch 4G will get iOS 7, new iPod's wont be released until probably September at the earliest and the 4G is still going to be on sale at WWDC. Going on what Apple has done in the past with the 3GS, the 4G should definitely get iOS 7

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I believe the last two 256MB devices, the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (forth generation) will not be supported with iOS 7.

The low amount of memory seriously hurts these devices.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I believe the last two 256MB devices, the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (forth generation) will not be supported with iOS 7.

The low amount of memory seriously hurts these devices.

Apple stopped selling the 3GS, no way its going to get iOS 7.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
If iOS 7 is reinvented in the way iOS is less resource hungry, then there is a chance iOS 7 could perform better than 6 on these devices. The gloss, shadows, and extra effects of the current iOS is proven to "slow" devices, (This was the reason iPod touch 2nd generation and iPhone 3G never got multitasking and wallpapers for the home screen (When jailbroken, you can remove the shadows, but not gloss and the device would perform better than the stock iOS preset) I think if the iPod touch 4th gen and iPhone 4 are able to handle the software Apple will support it, this depends on how many devices on their campus are older and how does it run. The only real issue I can see will be next year for iOS 8, and the many devices Apple has on an A5 chip. That year would only count as the 2nd major software update for devices like iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th gen, BUT would be the 3rd major for iPhone 4S, and iPad 3rd gen.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
First of all, as long as Apple is still selling them, both will get it. However, the iPod touch will be terrible with iOS 7 and receive almost no new features.

baileydrain

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
The Ipod Touch 4th Generation has been discontinued!

As of May 30, 2013, Apple discontinued the Ipod Touch 4th generation, in favor of a new 16 GIB Ipod Touch 5th Generation:mad:. Now I'm pretty sure that Apple will not allow the Ipod Touch 4th generation to be upgraded to IOS 7. It originally came with IOS 4, so it has gone through many updates.

ericp99

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Also consider that the iPhone 4 will presumably not be on sale once the iPhone 5S lands. Then it will be
iPhone 5S- $199-399
iPhone 5- $99
iPhone 4S- Free

iPhone 4- Gone.
But this has not happened yet, which is why I think that it will be at least partially supported under iOS 7. I think that the 4S is safe.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I mean stuff like Find Friends or whatever it is that are not shipped on the phone but are available for free download from the app store.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the OS if you have to download it from App Store...

----------

If iOS 7 is reinvented in the way iOS is less resource hungry, then there is a chance iOS 7 could perform better than 6 on these devices. The gloss, shadows, and extra effects of the current iOS is proven to "slow" devices, (This was the reason iPod touch 2nd generation and iPhone 3G never got multitasking and wallpapers for the home screen (When jailbroken, you can remove the shadows, but not gloss and the device would perform better than the stock iOS preset) I think if the iPod touch 4th gen and iPhone 4 are able to handle the software Apple will support it, this depends on how many devices on their campus are older and how does it run. The only real issue I can see will be next year for iOS 8, and the many devices Apple has on an A5 chip. That year would only count as the 2nd major software update for devices like iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th gen, BUT would be the 3rd major for iPhone 4S, and iPad 3rd gen.

It would be the 2nd major update for the 4s(ios6,7)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.