Will Apple Add Bluray Optional (Mac pro) at Macworld??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rph105, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

will apple add optional bluray on all their machines, including the new mac pro, ive really been aching to buy my new mac, and i thought this revision would include bluray, ive got a ppc g5 at the moment, and i really need to upgrade.

So what do you guys think, bluray drive optional at macworld? also whats the best graphics card to order with the mac pro?

Thanks

Raph

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It could be a surprise addition, but that is extremely unlikely, as those in desperate need of such a drive can always go 3rd party.

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Buy third party, unless you enjoy being fleeced by Apple.

Why anyone would want to buy a BTO drive like that from them is beyond me. Unless of course those so inclined like overpaying Apple.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

BluRay burners should work fine in the Mac Pro....as far as Apple sporting one, it's too soon to say. Apple seems to be on the fence, except for partial HD-DVD support in DVD Studio Pro.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It does kind of look like Apple might have shoved the Mac Pro out the door ahead of a scheduled Mac World release. Some of the EU Apple store websites show options that are not on the US store.

Also, Apple might still be seeking a source. Sony just released a new Blu-Ray reader and there are a few Blu-Ray+HD-DVD readers out. So they have some choices and could be still drafting agreements.

And, frankly, it could be as simple as 10.5.2 is required to make real use of it and that hasn't shipped yet and may not ship before Mac World. So folks buying Mac Pros with Blu-Ray devices now might find them unrecognized or unusable.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I do not believe the current version does, though it can handle HD-DVDs produced and burned using DVD Studio Pro. Hence maybe an update via 10.5.2 is needed.