Will apple allow returns of iPods with engravings?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 53kyle, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Absolutely not. Before finalizing the engraving the page warns you that there are no returns on anything that is engraved.

2. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

That's the problem when engraving... it may be free but you can forget about returning it and selling them afterwards may be more difficult compared to a non-engraved device, specially if you engraved something personal on it.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, because no one would buy it for the full price if it has someone else's personal engraving on it - Whatsmore, Apple wouldn't try to sell it to someone else, because it would be kinda unprofessional.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What I've never understood is... don't they replace the back before they sell as a refurb anyway?

5. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Common sense tells me that it's a personal engraving, no one wants a message saying "For my pookybear" on the back of their iPod. :p If it was a service and repair, I'm sure they'd give you a replacement *without* an engraving.

----------

Yes. They basically make it a brand new iPod, but can't sell it as new because of the previous state of the device. My refurbished iPod Touch came in perfect condition. Only thing it didn't come with was retail packaging, but came with everything a new iPod would have come in.

I want the new iPod touch though, I'm in love with the non finger print magnet backing!

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What I'm getting at is that if the back is replaced anyway, why not allow returns of engraved iPods?

I ordered engraving on my iPad 2, but cancelled it when I was able to reserve one at the store before it shipped.

It was going to say:

iPad 2,
    Electric Bugaloo

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Probably due to them not wanting to waste material on buyers remorse.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

True, but you'd still only be able to return it in the 14-day window.

9. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

What if there is a major problem with my device, would they replace just that part? I always thought that they replaced the whole device. My uncle had an iMac with a stripped screw, and apple replaced the WHOLE IMAC, so what's the difference between that and returning it? They lose just as much money

10. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

They don't lose any money - from where did you get that? That iMac they took back went straight to the repair shop and was sell a week afterwards. When my 3rd generation iPod nano broke up a few years ago they took it to Ireland to be repaired and handed me another refurbished one, the same way mine -repaired, of course- is probably in the hands of another person whose iPod also broke down.

11. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

What I meant is that they didn't repair it, they just pulled one from a shelf in the store and gave it to him, because he didn't put any data on his other one

12. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

The fact that they didn't repair it on the spot for him doesn't mean it wasn't repaired later on. I can guarantee you they repair all defective products, otherwise they wouldn't be sitting on all that cash fortune...