Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
There was some strong evidence the name was going to be "Slate". The NYT editor used that name a couple of months ago. It was the first time we heard it. He clearly referred to "Apple Slate". Then we find out that Apple secretly registered that name. Fast forward to the 27th and we find out it's the "iPad". The name has received plenty of bad reactions and ridicule. The NYT has written a lengthy article on it being embarrassing to woman. Okay, so has the Wii, but Nintendo is not Apple.

It could be that Apple is testing the reactions but hasn't yet settled. I noticed during the keynote, as Jobs was displaying various wallpapers, one of them was clearly a gray slate with the characteristic clef running through it.

Now factor in that they are being sued by Fujistsu over the name... not that Jobs cares, but still.

Stay tuned ... what do you guys think? Any chance they would change the name???

rowanmwilliams

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't see why they would, if they had any doubts about the name it wouldn't have come this far already. But I like the name, it suits what it is designed to do. A more advanced modern version of the note PAD.

As for the NYT article, yet again it's just political corectness gone wrong, it does not demean women. Get over it.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I don't see the name changing after the Keynote. Apple registered iPad as well as iSlate recently. Did apple put the iSlate name out there to throw off companies such as HP, who show up at CES with the HP Slate? Probably total nonsense but who knows. If I was chasing the front runner in mobile device market and could grab their name to get exposure? why not.

I'm guessing no one will be copying the name "iPad" for the tablet computer. I'll go with my opinion that just like Nintendo's "Wii" the name won't matter in 6 months and all the jokes will be boring and pointless. No one will copy their name, and the word of mouth and jokes about iPad will be free advertising for Apple.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Exactly. A year from now, the word Pad will be synonymous with a tablet device, not a hygiene product.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I wonder what happens if Fujitsu wins their copyright case? Would Apple be forced to change the name? Or more likely, pay Fujitsu a heft amount to buy the name from them.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Likely all those names they tried, ran into problems, and this with Fujitsu abandoning the name last year had the least problems worldwide.

Apple however is squatting on quite a few likely copycat names, and would likely keep moving forward like they did with the Mighty Mouse, and redesign the product and the name if it looks like an all out loss for Apple.

Buys them a couple years to drive through a new name in any case.

Edit: I mean go forward with the iPad, no matter what, like they did with all the others in the past and hope to reach a settlement or ditch at the end like they did with the Mighty Mouse.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
I don't think so. Apple will probably fight it's way out legally, if not just pay Fujitsu for the name. Like mentioned above, the iPad will not be thought as a feminine hygiene product but a tablet in the near future. Many people made fun of the iPod name and see how it's usage is now to just to refer to an mp3 player.

The jokes will grow old sooner or later, i'm sure most people are mature enough to get over this pun.

carolinuz

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
the name

i really love the device coz its giving me the mobility that im looking and definitely i wont be buyin a sh*teous pc netbook.. but i REALLY dont get the name,, it just have been name iTab.. makes sense to me, the pads are.. girls stuff :p

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
Alot of people don't know what a slate is, or a tablet, so iPad made the most sense because people know what a pad is, touchpads, etc.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Actually Apple has decided to change the name and has gone a step further.

iPad will be iPod
iPod will be iPad
iPhone will be iCell
iTouch will be iFeel
iMac will be iBob
Magic Mouse will be Slippery Rat

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Magic Mouse will be Slippery Rat
Okay, now left click on your slippery rat.

Or, to right click on your slippery rat, lift our left finger a little before clicking on the slippery rat with your right finger.

Okay class, everybody take out your slippery rats and place them on the desktop.

Snort! That would be funny. :D

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Remember the huge fuss when apple changed the name from iBook and Powerbook to Macbook and Macbook Pro.
You'd have thought hell had frozen over by the reaction on these forums. People were vowing to never stop calling it a Powerbook, the new name is stupid, why have apple screwed us over like this etc etc.
Same with the change from iPod mini to iPod nano.
Lesser but similar Powermac to Mac Pro.
Mighty mouse was also ridiculed, people don't like change. We'll get used to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.