Will Apple charge me to fix this? (pic)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimplySd, Jul 11, 2010.

1. SimplySd macrumors newbie

Only problem with my keyboard is that some lights are not working.

[​IMG]

2. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Depends if it was accidental or not. Did you spill anything on it?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Does your computer have any remaining warranty? Has liquid ever been spilt on the computer?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Like the two posters above, warranty and any liquid damage involved?

5. SimplySd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You're SOL with a spill. Can't hurt to bring it in and fein ignorance if you are under warranty period

7. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Then you'll more than likely either have to suffer not having that part of the keyboard lit, or pay for it out of pocket.. Thats if the water sensors are tripped.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You'll have to pay Apple to repair it, then.

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Do not follow this advice. Fraudulent claims make everyone suffer. Warranties are supposed to cover manufacturer defects only. If you or anyone else can't take care of their devices, the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for your repairs.

Next time, buy some type of accidental damage coverage for it.

10. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

the rest of 'us' have to pay for it? what are you talking about

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

He means that the more that Apple fixes fraudulent claims the better the chances are that they will get their money back from it's customers in future Macbook Pro sales. Example, limited specs or higher prices or both.

12. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

In theory, Apple having to pay for fraudulent claims, making the other products more expensive to everyone else. Or so I assume that what they are talking about.

13. dashcs macrumors regular

I spilled coffee on mine and the keyboard lights wouldn't go on.That was the only thing that was wrong.
    Brought it to a AASP.They saw the coffee damage but stated it only hit the sensor and the total repair was only 110$
    However I still had my Applecare intact afterwards.

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Unlike buying a PC, or a Mac with a service plan from a place like Best Buy, it is difficult to find spill protectio n (Best Buy will even cover the battery unlike AC) If Apple included that then...

Your point about others paying for it is a fair one - if and only if they actually do the repair. If there is an obvious stain it foolish to try but if it was a few drops of water then maybe it would be unnoticeable. The cost they would charge to fix will likely be mostly profit, not cost, and Apple does do very well on their macs since they never drop prices as their costs drop over the life of a product. With 30 billion in cash reserves and obscene profits on older, unrefreshed lines like the MP and MA, it could be considered payback - or you paid for it with the Apple tax. Also, another way to look at it is by fixing this little thing they earn your loyalty and you tell all your PC friends to switch to mac for their great service. I am not advocating telling a lie, (I said fein ignorance - ask me no questions I tell you no lies) just bring it in and state the problem - but don't look guilty.

Anyway, let us know what you decide and how it works out. And keep liquids far away from your computers!!!

15. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't write repairs out of its profits, it allocates for them within the price of each product. If claims go up, they allocate more in the next product release, however if they go down, they'll reduce the allocation, and lower the price. There is no denying that fraudulent claims cause the price of our devices to increase

16. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

There is a reason Apple makes us pay for fraudulent claims...

It is by stuffing the products with water sensors. Sure, it gets rid of any doubt, but it has been proven that sufficient humidity in the air can trip them.

That means, some people in tropical climates have lost their warranty.

17. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I live in place with 90% - 95% humidity and never heard of a tripped sensor...