Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Yesterday I woke up to the frightening site of three red and blue lines on the left side of my RMBP. I have no idea what happened since its been fine all week and I think I would have noticed this... Any way, it's a refurbished unit that is a few months OOW (should have gotten Apple Care but oh well, I've learned my lesson) does anyone know whether Apple will charge me to diagnose the problem OOW and give me an estimate? I ask here because I won't be able to get to an Apple Store until tomorrow when we fly down to Cali to visit family for Thanksgiving. As an extra question, anyone else had this happen?? Might it get worse over time? Thank you in advance!

IMG_0013_zpsaca2534e.jpg

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I would imagine they'll look at it for free

and to be honest give them some **** and they might fix it for free that sort of issue after less than 18 months is unacceptable.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
It's most likely a display panel problem and will get worse with time. I have an old 2006 iMac that my kids use and it has the same type of problem. For quite some time there were one or two lines, but in the last 6 months, it has grown to over a dozen scattered across the screen. After reading up on it, the display panels in those old machines were known to have problems, and I was lucky for it to work as long as it did.

Go to the Apple Store, and if it is less than 1 year old, you will still have AppleCare, provided you bought your refurb through Apple. If not, maybe you'll get a sympathetic person to help you out. Otherwise replacing the retina panel is not likely to be cheap.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I've been the the Genius bar with various computers a few times now, and they've never charged to look a system over or run their software diagnostics on it. The process isn't always totally accurate, but at the very least they can tell you what they think the issue is and give you an estimate on what repairs would cost. It won't cost you anything more than the trip to their store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.