Will apple check if Im jailbroken

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DerekRod, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

My old iPhone 4S was stolen so Apple refunded the Applecare+ and told me to repurchase it when I received my refund and phone.I know they inspect the phone are they gonna check if im jailbroken?I'd prefer not to lose it but if I have to I have too

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'd unjailbreak just to be safe. They inspect the phone even if you're getting a headphone or USB cable replacement.

3. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

has anyone ever had a refund refused because they were jailbroken? just curious. Surely you could just go home restore it to stock and have another go?

afterall, if it's the phone they care about when it's restored all traces are gone and it's the same as any other stock phone and they have nothing to grumble about?

4. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Jailbreaking doesn't make any features stop working, i don't where your coming from with this post!?!?!?!

5. calvy macrumors 65816

I just went in yesterday to get a USB cable replaced. The genius of course wants to look at the phone to get the serial number, so what I always do is open up the settings app and take it to the page with the serial number for them. Sometimes I turn off Winterboard. And if you are having issues with your phone you want them to replicate, then definitely restore to stock firmware. Most of them will tell you to go home and come back when it's not jailbroken.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes they will check and they will void your warranty.

7. calvy macrumors 65816

bull. Unless you are a real jerk they will just tell you to restore it to stock firmware and come back if you still have a problem. In the US, anyway.

8. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Lady took the serial number off the phone re-added applecare+ plus and I was on my way.So thanks guys appreciate it

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple does not care if you are jailbroken, unless it's some software issue caused by JB.

Some services won't work on unsupported carrier if hacktivated with jb. But that's not due to the JB. That's due to the carrier.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This is also what a Genius told me. They don't care if it's jailbroken as they will just restore it and usually troubleshoot from there.

11. ingirum, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

ingirum macrumors newbie

In any case Apple does not check if the device is jailbroken. In most cases Apple Care even does not know which version of the iOS you are running.

Absolutely true. Apple's policy is that a restore of the original/official system is only required to be considered again under warranty. Actually Apple does not care which software you installed on the device, the warranty is for hardware, not software.

But in some cases a non authorized software can damage the hardware (and if discovered, that would not be covered by the warranty) and in other cases a restore after JB can give an iTunes error letting the device stuck in the middle of the restore (and therefore not bootable), error for which Apple does not give any tech solution - and the device would be out of warranty.

(I am a former Apple Care iOS agent)

12. Smug Boy macrumors member

13. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I have had cool geniuses. Just depends but go to settings and have the serial number up...

14. tr0uble macrumors newbie

PLEASE go read my last forum. Maybe you can help me :(