Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
NY
My old iPhone 4S was stolen so Apple refunded the Applecare+ and told me to repurchase it when I received my refund and phone.I know they inspect the phone are they gonna check if im jailbroken?I'd prefer not to lose it but if I have to I have too

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I'd unjailbreak just to be safe. They inspect the phone even if you're getting a headphone or USB cable replacement.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
has anyone ever had a refund refused because they were jailbroken? just curious. Surely you could just go home restore it to stock and have another go?

afterall, if it's the phone they care about when it's restored all traces are gone and it's the same as any other stock phone and they have nothing to grumble about?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I just went in yesterday to get a USB cable replaced. The genius of course wants to look at the phone to get the serial number, so what I always do is open up the settings app and take it to the page with the serial number for them. Sometimes I turn off Winterboard. And if you are having issues with your phone you want them to replicate, then definitely restore to stock firmware. Most of them will tell you to go home and come back when it's not jailbroken.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Yes they will check and they will void your warranty.

bull. Unless you are a real jerk they will just tell you to restore it to stock firmware and come back if you still have a problem. In the US, anyway.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Lady took the serial number off the phone re-added applecare+ plus and I was on my way.So thanks guys appreciate it

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple does not care if you are jailbroken, unless it's some software issue caused by JB.

Jailbreaking doesn't make any features stop working, i don't where your coming from with this post!?!?!?!

Some services won't work on unsupported carrier if hacktivated with jb. But that's not due to the JB. That's due to the carrier.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Apple does not care if you are jailbroken, unless it's some software issue caused by JB.

This is also what a Genius told me. They don't care if it's jailbroken as they will just restore it and usually troubleshoot from there.

ingirum

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
In any case Apple does not check if the device is jailbroken. In most cases Apple Care even does not know which version of the iOS you are running.

Absolutely true. Apple's policy is that a restore of the original/official system is only required to be considered again under warranty. Actually Apple does not care which software you installed on the device, the warranty is for hardware, not software.

But in some cases a non authorized software can damage the hardware (and if discovered, that would not be covered by the warranty) and in other cases a restore after JB can give an iTunes error letting the device stuck in the middle of the restore (and therefore not bootable), error for which Apple does not give any tech solution - and the device would be out of warranty.

(I am a former Apple Care iOS agent)

Last edited:

tr0uble

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
In any case Apple does not check if the device is jailbroken. In most cases Apple Care even does not know which version of the iOS you are running.

Absolutely true. Apple's policy is that a restore of the original/official system is only required to be considered again under warranty. Actually Apple does not care which software you installed on the device, the warranty is for hardware, not software.

But in some cases a non authorized software can damage the hardware (and if discovered, that would not be covered by the warranty) and in other cases a restore after JB can give an iTunes error letting the device stuck in the middle of the restore (and therefore not bootable), error for which Apple does not give any tech solution - and the device would be out of warranty.

(I am a former Apple Care iOS agent)

PLEASE go read my last forum. Maybe you can help me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.