Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidFalling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
okay, so i head today that since apple has been selling more and more MP3 players that they are actually losing money making computers and as a result they are going to stop selling computers in the next couple of years and only sell mp3 players. IS THIS MADDNESS TRUE?!

UnLogikal

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
DavidFalling said:
okay, so i head today that since apple has been selling more and more MP3 players that they are actually losing money making computers and as a result they are going to stop selling computers in the next couple of years and only sell mp3 players. IS THIS MADDNESS TRUE?!

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/04/20050413171014.shtml

- Mac 62% of total revenue. Up 27%.
- 1,070,000 Macintoshes shipped
- 608,000 Desktops (up 55%)
- iMac G5, eMac, MacMini's 467,000
- PowerMacs 141,000
- 462,000 Portables
- iBooks 251,000
- PowerBooks 211,000
- Music Business - 38% of total Apple revenue.
- Shipped 5.3 million iPods during the Quarter

so.. in a nutshell.. no.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
DavidFalling said:
No. They are making money selling computers and they are selling more computers than ever before. Don't believe everything you hear.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, *I* heard that since people only buy Apple computers because they look pretty, and MacOS sucks so much, Apple is either going to start selling their computers with Windows XP Home Edition, or just not include an OS. No, it's true! :D A poll of iBook users revealed that 98% weren't aware that the iBook was capable of running software if they press that circular button between the keyboard and the screen. They were just taking them to Starbucks and hanging around with them on their lap. While a few did subsequently try turning their iBooks on, they found that the benefits of running the operating system did not outweigh the nuisance of the heat from the bottom of the computer on their thighs. I swear! :)

Don't worry, though, they're going to change the color scheme from blue and green so that it matches the iBook. :p

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Well I heard that OS X was designed from the ground up for military applications and that Apple is going to buy Boeing and Halliburton and become the US' biggest defense contractor, and then a secret section of OS X code is going to turn over all control of the government to Steve Jobs, who will then somehow lose it to Bill Gates. So, yes, Apple will fall, but only after a spectacular run.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
5/21/2001 - Commentary: Sorry, Steve: Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work - BusinessWeek, Cliff Edwards; Death Knell by David Goldstein quoted in article
Relevant Quote: "I give them two years before they're turning out the lights on a very painful and expensive mistake." David Goldstein was at this time the president of Channel Marketing Corp, and research and analysis company covering the retail sector. [As of this writing, it's been more than two and a half years, and the Apple Stores are doing well. - Editor]

:eek: :D ...

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
geese said:
I heard that iRiver was going to buy Apple out.

Offtopic, but: Burglars broke into my flat a month ago, they stole my iRiver 380T but not my iPod clickwheel 20GB... pretty picky, but a good sense for quality ;-) Alas, my Powerbook was gone, too, so it's not that they didn't like Apple products at all..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.