will apple cover a chipped screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Badyouth42, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Badyouth42 macrumors newbie

i just recently discovered on my macbook pro i have a chip in the glass near the upper right hand corner...
    will applecare cover this? and advice??

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nope it wont cover it unless it was there when you purchased the machine. This would be hard to prove in any case. Applecare is more for hardware problems.

3. Badyouth42 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you i figured it wouldnt be covered...
    do u know of a way to get it replaced cheaply?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You could buy the part and do it yourself (unadvised) or try a third party repair guy. This will be cheaper than Apple.

5. Badyouth42 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you do u know of any 3rd party repair place in ny on long island??

6. OriginalNot macrumors member

you really have to make sure when you're doing this it is by an Apple Certified Company or else your warrant is void I believe.

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah, be sure the guy knows what hes doing. doing such repairs is a huge risk at voiding apple care warranties. good luck my mac brother. may the force of steve jobs be with you :D

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That's only if they can tell it was messed with. Places that put screws back in halfway or lose half of them make it obvious. I see tons of stuff done like that. It's not a byproduct of incompetence, rather a result of working on a machine than waiting to put it back together at a later date. It's easy to forget where things go when you work on 20 different machines a day and come back to one 2 weeks later.

Wherever you ago, make sure they have some sort clean room, whether self-made or professionally done. Apple authorized or not isn't the issue. Dust behind the glass is the issue. The glass can be replaced without doing the whole assembly but most places doing it, even the places with the spiffy logic board component level repair knowledge do it in a regular dusty room and do nothing to ensure the glass doesn't have dust on the other side. Typical side effects of this are little rainbow-effected spots where you see separate individual colors on a pixel because the light is being refracted off the dust particle, and can drive you nuts if you spot it.

I can attest this was a pain in the ass, fixed by nothing less than getting 5-7 air filters put in a tiny room and keeping them on for a day before attempting to do any repair of the kind. Even then, dust on the clothing and whatnot seeps behind there.

For DIY using household materials I always recommend using a dehumidifier and your bathroom, as it is a common household item that typically contains a good air filter. A smaller room like a bathroom will be easier for a tiny air filter to clean all the dust out of.

Before the air filters I'd spend 45 minutes getting every last piece of grime with a CD wipe in a semi-clean room, and an associate would not even bother and the customer didn't notice any of the dust or bits behind the screen. Someone who will remain unnamed who does apple products in the east village leaves eyelashes behind the glass and people don't notice.

So maybe it isn't as big a deal as I make it up to be.

If it is just a chip in the corner and not a total crack, unless you require perfection, I wouldn't bother. If it's a crack in the viewable area, I would go for it. Chips don't always mean there is a definitive crack that is likely to spread to the rest of the glass, but if it is a direct crack and is in the process of spreading I would get it replaced as micro fractures will only ensure it gets worse over time.