Will Apple Cover This?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dylanbrown, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, I have placed this post in the wrong forum, should be "MacBook/iBook", does anyone know how to change it? Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,

I have a "Late 2007" edition White MacBook, and it has been my first ever Mac. It has bee fantastic, but just have a few problems:

1. Screen Tearing:

I know that the MacBook doesn't have a fantastic graphics card in it, but is it really supposed to be this bad:

[​IMG]
    (http://snipurl.com/94bs3)

The icons always seem to "mash together" (If that makes sense) and sometimes while in iTunes, screen tearing can occur when watching video Podcasts/TV Shows etc.

Is this common among MacBooks, or is this something that I should get sorted out?

2. Noisy Fan:

Just recently, my MacBook has started to become very noisy, it sounds very much like "the moo" but is continuos. I feel that this is a problem, and am sure that this should be fixed... no questions asked! Do you agree?

3. Cracks:

I know that the MacBook is known to produce cracks, but when I tried to get the cracks fixed on the bottom plate, I was told that I would need to pay to get it replaced, even though the guy on the AppleCare Line told me that it would be replaced free. See attached photo:

[​IMG]
    (http://snipurl.com/94c8k)

The hair-line cracks are hard to see (Thanks iPhone 3G!), but you can just spot them between the fan vent and the writing on the back.

Screen Surround Becoming Loose/Breaking off:

OK, just to let you know, I have not tried to pull the surround away from the screen in any way. The other day when I was taking my MacBook out my bad, I saw that the display surround o the right hand side was bulging out. It is actually coming away from the surround! Take a look:

[​IMG]
    (http://snipurl.com/94ccs)

And on the front, just above "MacBook" the same problem occurs:

[​IMG]
    (http://snipurl.com/94cea)

Don't get me wrong, I love my MacBook and care for it very well, but these problems are getting to be really annoying. Are some of these problems normal (Thinking about the screen tearing) and are they likely to be covered by AppleCare warranty?

Thanks guys....
    Dylan

2. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Take it to an apple store you should be able to get a new Macbook. I think you have a defective machine! :apple:

Hope this helps.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The Screen Surround is held in place by many small plastic clips and firmly stuck down with double-sided tape, of course, this cuts costs and also cuts quality!!

I'd suggest you return the unit to the AppleStore and get it serviced under warranty (assuming it's still in warranty period.) or if it's within it the 14days, get it replaced!!

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Take it to an Apple Store. It could be defective product and they may give you a replacement :).

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Seems like this unit may fall under AppleCare. As others said, try talking to a "genius" at an Apple store.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the same notebook you have, except the black version. I've experienced the same problems you state.

Unfortunately, it's just the build quality of the plastic MacBooks and the all around shoddiness of the GMA950 (both hardware and software).

You can arrange for AppleCare to replace both your top and bottom case. I've had it done twice now, but the GMA950 just does that. It's a poor integrated solution. The X1300 revision was better, but I'm sure that's why Apple has moved on to NVIDIA graphics.

With each Leopard display update, it seems to get better.

As for your fan problems, it's likely that over the course of the years you've built up quite a bit of dust and dirt inside your MacBook. I would take a can of compressed air and carefully blow out your MacBook.

The dust and dirt can cause your MacBook's fans to work overtime.

Apple is not going to give you replacement until they've repaired the same problem at least three times or you have a catastrophic system failure (ignoring hard drive issues).

7. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW: I have had the MacBook since Feb!

I still have the original AppleCare warranty, so hopefully should be able to get it fixed. I must agree that the build quality of the aluminum MacBooks compared to the polycarbonate ones is rather shoddy.

Thanks anyway for your help.

8. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

OK guys handed it in on the Monday and got it back today (Tuesday)! Whoa, that's quick!

Anyway, here's what they did:

Screen Tearing
    They "ran diagnostic tests" and compared results to a 13" White Display Model MacBook and saw no issues - graphics card was not replaced.

Fan
    The Genius used the yes command in Terminal to test the fan, and it produced the sound as described, replaced.

Cracks
    Genius took one look at them, and guess what, replaced!

Screen Surround
    They didn't replace the surround, instead they just pressed it back into the slots... fixed!

I am overall generally pleased with the level of service and support received at the Apple Store, and am so glad I took it in while my warranty was still active, otherwise it would have cost me over £150!!

Anyway, great service as always from Apple!