Will Apple create the next big gaming platform

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rsox101, Apr 9, 2010.

1. rsox101 Guest

rsox101

With all the talk about gaming at Apples keynotes and the upcoming valve release, do you think that Apple is going to create a gaming platform like the PS3 or Xbox 360?

2. rsox101 thread starter Guest

rsox101

It could be. It just seems like they are really emphasizing how their products handle games and with the announcement yesterday about OS 4 getting game center. I really believe that they are getting people used to the game center now so that if they release a platform people will be used to the software.

3. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

maybe the controllers are like gloves and socks with sensors everywhere, and you get to wear those glasses they mentioned the other day as a patent... that way it'll be very, very Matrix-y... :cool: and next thing you know, you'll be knocking your grandmother off her chair with a Mortal Kombat High Kick! :p

4. rsox101 thread starter Guest

rsox101

All I know is if they did make a system you know it would be awesome with all the time and effort they put into R and D and there ever growing fan base these days it would be HUGE!

5. alexh123drum macrumors member

Personally I don't see it.
    360s and PS3s already have such a huge fan base and the titles to go with it. I think that if apple tried something then hardcore gamers would just see it like a jumped up iPhone or iPad or something.
    Saying that with Apples success I'm sure every game studio in the world would be jumping on board.
    Who knows?...

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think the way to do this, given that SJ is interested in the market, is to make the pool of iPhone/iPad games available on TV through an Apple TV. The graphics wouldn't exactly be like on a PS3, but the iPad games may look relatively decent.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I hope not. :D
    I still remember that time when it was released - at first I thought it sounded nice but then...

8. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I'd say not a chance, if the suggestions of delaying on updates to Macbook Pros, Mac Pro's. Problems with stand alone displays and iMac displays, weak wifi iPad reception. iPhones with bad call clarity and dropping calls. comments that Time Machines are breaking down etc. Why would they enter a sector where to contenders really do fight it out.

Apple would be eaten alive if they tried. They may have iTunes as a download medium but it's not like the others don't have that already.

The interaction research going on with some of these consoles would have Apple at a loss. let alone 3D development.

9. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I could absolutely see a day where Game Center runs not only on your iPhone, iPod and iPad, but also on your :apple:TV and your Mac. It seems rather obvious that an :apple:TV and Mac App Store could be created as well. One game, but as a universal app, could run all all those platforms in a best-of-breed manner. Microsoft is getting there and is ahead of Apple right now in this area, but it seems clear to me that Apple is heading down this clear and obvious path. A "Facebook for Gaming" coupled a "multi-platform App Store for Gaming" would be the "the next big gaming platform" in my view.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That's not even the half of it:
    • There are usually three big game console makers at any one time.
    • The market leader changes with each new generation.
    • Mindshare does not translate into market leadership. The Xbox had the most mindshare during its generation. The Xbox 360 has the most mindshare now. However, the best that Microsoft could do with both consoles was the No. 2 position during each generation.
    • Apple digital devices sell on razor-thin margins. Game consoles sell at a loss.
    • Profits in video gaming are generated by license fees on games that are artificially constrained in supply.
    The bottomline is that the game console market is a crapshot. Not to put too fine a point on it, most crapshots lose.

11. macintel4me macrumors 6502

While what you said is true, that's assuming current game console revenue and distribution models. Apple is in a position to make money on music, movies, TV shows in addition to games, and possible other apps, all available over-the-air. There is more room for a lower price point given that model. I think Apple is in a great place for an extensive gaming platform play given their complete and deepening ecosystem.

12. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

13. godslabrat macrumors 6502

It's as close as they're going to get.

The iPad and iPhone are slick devices for grabbing the interest of people who enjoy $4 touch-screen games. As long as Apple focuses on those crowds, they'll print money. However, they're totally unprepared to compete with Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony in the "dedicated" gaming market. They'd spend far too much money and get back far too little in return.

14. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

No hardcore stuff I don't think, they'd probably look more at the Nintendo market. They'd take that market that Nintendo created and make them pay more for better hardware. I imagine that they'll also try and leverage touch screen games a ton like they have now. They'd already have a huge developer base. And it would probably be related to Apple TV.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You had me until you wrote this and then ... poof! Gone. Apple does not bottom feed.

What is more, the gaming market is not like any other that Apple competes in. The gaming business model makes the recorded music and video business models look like models of rectitude.

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

People who actually play console games (ie not Tower Defense or Cat Cannon or whatever) dont take the i<product> seriously at all.

17. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns