Will apple cut off line on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mytran80, Jun 22, 2010.

1. mytran80 macrumors regular

Hi guys , will apple employees cut off the waiting line for the new iPhone 4 if they know the availability of phones won't be enough for others in line ? Assuming after they've asked who are walk ins and reserves

2. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Of course they will. I'm pretty sure when it gets down to 50 or less phones they will start making announcements and counting the people in line to make a cutoff.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, they just waste everyone's time and make them sit there. /sarcasm

4. fo0bar macrumors member

To date, the only time I've camped out overnight for something was for the Wii launch. It was on a sunday morning and I didn't have anything better to do that weekend so I said "what the hell". Wal-Mart was having a midnight launch, so I went to one that I figured would be the least crowded and found a line of about 20 people. This was maybe 8:30PM.

At 10PM there was maybe 50 people in line at this point, and a manager came out and said, "We have 20 Wiis available. Work it out yourselves," and went back inside. No line tickets or anything, very unprofessional. After the anger subsided, we eventually organized ourselves to count off and figure out where the cutoff was. Of course I was #21. I maybe had a chance, but didn't really feel like chancing it.

On the way home I stopped by Best Buy to see the massive line. To my surprise there was only about 40 people in line, and they were pretty excited, saying there was a good chance there'd be at least 100 Wiis available. No midnight launch, but there was a good chance I could get one. I went home, got some warm clothing and a camp chair and came back, and was about #50. The Best Buy even stayed open until midnight, and after closing many of the employees themselves got in line for the night. Mad Mario Kart action was had by all. By morning there about 80 people, we got line tickets at 6AM, and they announced that they had over 150 units available. The store opened at 8AM and I got my Wii.

(Frankly, had I known they would have supply problems for years after that, I would have bought 10 of them. Oh well.)

5. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

6. W8tin4iphone4 macrumors newbie

I waited for the Wii launch too and it was also my only overnight campout experience. Me and my roommate went to a Target where we were told all the Wii's were spoken for but there was another Target nearby with more supply. We went there, were about 80th in line and turns out they had about 150.

I ended up selling that Wii for profit (was a college student trying to obtain any income) but get this - my roommate actually returned his Wii unopened back to the Target he bought it from like 2 weeks after launch. He was frustrated he couldn't sell it and the Target people was asking him a lot of questions on why he was returning it, I'm sure that one was snatched up quickly by an employee. Of course, we gave him tons of crap afterward as we all knew the Wii's supply issue during 2007.

I'm very excited for tomorrow night, I have no reservations so I am just going to wait in the non-reservation line and hope for the best. Or just rob some reservationist. Just kidding. Or am I? [cue cliffhanger music]

7. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

I just saw on my local news that APPLE will have no Walk in phones available until next week. All phones are for reserves only. (San Francisco news cast).

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I just spoke to a magical unicorn who can see the future, and he told me to stop listening to speculation.

9. trav macrumors member

trav

Was it this magical unicorn?

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

lol

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster