Will Apple discontinue the 5S next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 17, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

2. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

No, the phone is too good. Me, I'm upgrading to the 6s. We know it's going to be better.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

They'll discontinue it in 2016. No reason to think they'd discontinue it next year. For now they still need to have a 4" option. Plus what other device would occupy the $0 with contract price point?

4. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

This hits the nail on the head. Plus the precedence that Apple has set with iPhones in the past having a shelf life of three years.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Depends on how well it sells. They sold the iPad 2 for three straight years.

6. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Judging by apples current trends with their products, next fall they may ditch the regular 6 and turn it into a 6c kind of like what they did whenever they made the iPhone 5s and ditched the original 5 in place of the 5c. And then come next year they may also keep the 5s kind of like they kept the 4s whenever the initial 5s was launched.

7. yinz macrumors 6502a

This seems highly unlikely based on trends. The 5C was not as big of a success as Apple thought it'd be. People who look to buy Apple don't want a cheaper product, they want the best. The 5S sales were not negatively impacted at all. People saw through Apple's facade. The 5C was just a watered down version of their real device. People don't want that.

The trend is, premium and MORE premium. That seems to be working well for Apple as the 6+ has already impacted sales much more than the 5C did in the first month.

8. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

For my wife's sake I hope they keep around a smaller device forever. When the iPhone 5 stops getting updates then she will need to find something else. It would be nice if Apple kept around a smaller, cheaper, lower-spec'd device for people who don't really care about performance and just want an iPhone that fits them. I'm thinking iOS 9 will drop support for the 4S, and iOS 10 will drop support for the 5, so I should be able to find a 5S for pretty cheap in 2016 to keep her going until iOS 11. Hopefully by late 2017 there are still some small iPhones available for sale! And yes I've tried to reason with her but she insists she can't get a bigger phone. She was already mad when they went to 4" lol.

10. stasha macrumors 6502

Eventhough in my opinion the 6plus is the best iphone ever, i think apple will keep the 5s next year because its an excellent phone and people need small screen phone is real,i think apple start to listen to its fan