Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
This morning I woke up an during my breakfast surfing on YouTube I found this video from Max Tech channel:

Why Apple is Ditching AMD Graphics: Explained!

The milk I was drinking almost choke me! At this point I feel good for having bought a new MacBook Pro 16" on December but I am also really really curious about the future of the Mac line. At the moment I need BootCamp and I still have to try if Parallels (or a similar program) can be a valid replacement on the new Apple Silicon. We will see!

By the way, in the video are mentioned two different rendering techniques: TBDR (Tile Based Deferred Rendering) and IMR (Immediate Mode Rendering). I am barely able to understand the differences between them and for sure I can't figure out why Apple has chosen this way, but what I can see is that AMD and INVIDIA are both going with the IMR technique.

So, what do you feel about it?

MHenr

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
I don't think this is a surprise really.
They're transitioning to in-house developed CPU's.
Why would they continue to use 3rd party suppliers for GPU's?
Especially for laptops or other systems with integrated graphics I don't think they'll continue to rely on 3rd party GPU's.

Maybe they will continue to support them in higher end machines like the Mac Pro.

Thilus

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
Bielefeld, Germany
It will be much more interesting if they will keep on supporting eGPU. The put so much effort in it and by the time of the release of the eGPU support, I am pretty much sure the important people already knew the road to ARM.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple says so plainly in their WWDC videos, and we have been discussing this in a number of threads for a while.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
By the way, in the video are mentioned two different rendering techniques: TBDR (Tile Based Deferred Rendering) and IMR (Immediate Mode Rendering). I am barely able to understand the differences between them and for sure I can't figure out why Apple has chosen this way, but what I can see is that AMD and INVIDIA are both going with the IMR technique.

If you are interested in reading more about this, I can recommend the excellent series of articles from Imagination technologies, the folks who designed modern TBDR and whose tech modern Apple GPUs are based on:

Reactions: Mojo1019

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This morning I woke up an during my breakfast surfing on YouTube I found this video from Max Tech channel:

Why Apple is Ditching AMD Graphics: Explained!

The milk I was drinking almost choke me! At this point I feel good for having bought a new MacBook Pro 16" on December but I am also really really curious about the future of the Mac line. At the moment I need BootCamp and I still have to try if Parallels (or a similar program) can be a valid replacement on the new Apple Silicon. We will see!

So, what do you feel about it?

It's a more efficient way of doing graphics processing and it's clearly the secret sauce of their GPUs.

I wouldn't let it make you feel badly about your 16" MacBook Pro purchase.

While Apple's GPUs are of a more efficient design, the AMD/Intel/NVIDIA GPUs and IGPs are still much more commonly developed for as far as gaming and high-end graphical applications are concerned. Frankly, this is likely why we're likely not going to see as many PC games being ported over to Apple Silicon based macOS as we did during the Intel era, let alone the PowerPC era. Case in point, the Apple TV has enough GPU prowess to compete with consoles and yet, Apple TV gaming is scarce and not worth writing home about (it even has support for Xbox One and PS4 controllers!).

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.