Will Apple do anything with bluetooth 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protobiont, Oct 20, 2011.

1. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Everything I've read implies that BT 4.0 could be an alternative to NFC for mobile payments and phone to phone communication. I find it a little odd that Apple put this hardware in the phone, but didn't add any features that take advantage of it. For one, it would be another hardware based feature to differentiate the 4s from the 4.

Now that Google has introduced the "android beam" feature, has added more deals to to push NFC payments along, and Microsoft has announced that they will add NFC to their line up of phones, I really hope Apple has something planned.

I for one, would love to use my phone as a payment method (if it's well implemented and secure), and don't want to see the iPhone left out of the party. I also like the idea of phone to phone or phone to iPad sharing in the absence of a wifi network.

I'm also surprised they added BT 4.0 and didn't make the ipod nano compatible, so that it could be used more like that "motoactv" thing. Can you imagine how many more ipod nano's they would sell if you could read messages, and interface with your phone in other ways through it?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The iPhone 4s uses bluetooth 4.0 and I would imagine that it will be added to all there products onward from today. It will probably eventually make its way to the nano so it acts like the motoactv, in the mean time enjoy the motoactv.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm sure sooner or later Apple will do more stuff with bluetooth 4.0

4. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

The better question to ask is whether or not app developers will take advantage of it.