will apple do this?

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
will apple pop in an ssd that i supply if i take my computer in for warranty work that requires them to already get inside the machine?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
There is Apple, and then there are Apple Authorized Repair shops. An Apple Authorized shop will do warranty repairs just like an Apple shop. Plus, because they are independently owned, they can do "other" stuff that an Apple Store won't do.

I can't tell you that your local Apple Authorized shop will pop in an SSD.... but .... if you buy the SSD from them, and the machine was in for warranty work any way... you might find that they will install something they have sold to you.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Some of them would do that. For a fee. It can't be free since it's not an official job although you get them done during warranty repairs.

Plus your SSD does not included in warranty, it wouldn't be their problem is something goes awry months later due to SSD installation. But I guess you know that.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
will apple pop in an ssd that i supply if i take my computer in for warranty work that requires them to already get inside the machine?
Can't hurt to ask, worst case is they say no or charge you extra for the service.

Think of it this way, a mechanic isn't likely to do extra work for nothing just because your car is in for a service.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not one you supply yourself, but one of theirs? Yes. Trouble is the cost. You might not be charged a lot for the installation since they have the machine in anyway, but they will definitely not use a third party drive.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
Ok thanks guys. I have a couple apple stores around me so Ill try to see if I can work something out with one of them.