will apple do this?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sk8r1230, Aug 17, 2012.

1. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

will apple pop in an ssd that i supply if i take my computer in for warranty work that requires them to already get inside the machine?

2. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

There is Apple, and then there are Apple Authorized Repair shops. An Apple Authorized shop will do warranty repairs just like an Apple shop. Plus, because they are independently owned, they can do "other" stuff that an Apple Store won't do.

I can't tell you that your local Apple Authorized shop will pop in an SSD.... but .... if you buy the SSD from them, and the machine was in for warranty work any way... you might find that they will install something they have sold to you.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Some of them would do that. For a fee. It can't be free since it's not an official job although you get them done during warranty repairs.

Plus your SSD does not included in warranty, it wouldn't be their problem is something goes awry months later due to SSD installation. But I guess you know that.

5. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Can't hurt to ask, worst case is they say no or charge you extra for the service.

Think of it this way, a mechanic isn't likely to do extra work for nothing just because your car is in for a service.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not one you supply yourself, but one of theirs? Yes. Trouble is the cost. You might not be charged a lot for the installation since they have the machine in anyway, but they will definitely not use a third party drive.

7. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

Ok thanks guys. I have a couple apple stores around me so Ill try to see if I can work something out with one of them.