Will Apple drop flash anytime soon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrsir2009, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Will Apple drop flash anytime soon? From what I've heard most Apple users don't need flash much, and with HTML5 making an appearance, is Apple going to drop flash from its computers/operating systems anytime soon?

2. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Flash is made by Adobe and not Apple, how can they drop it?

No matter you like Flash or not, it will not go away that fast. ;)

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Guess that depends on what you expect from the internet.

4. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

In the same way they dropped it from the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad.

5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Well, they didn't drop it, but never implemented it in the first place. Or allowed implementation by Adobe.

To me it seems that the ultimate reason is the stress it puts on the battery. Apple doesn't like to have a mobile device that may go from full battery to empty in 2h. So I don't see any reason they should prevent it on their desktops and - therefore - also not on their desktop line.

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

On the upside, Adobe recently acknowledged that it was demanding more CPU on a Mac than it was on Windows, so I guess they're looking into addressing it.

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Yeah, hopefully. It's said to be even somehat better in the latest beta release of the Flash plugin for OS X. I'm using ClickToFlash, but definitively click to flash now and then ;-)

8. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Those are not real computers where you can install any software you like, only those Apple thinks you need. :rolleyes:

9. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

They managed to bar it from the iPad lol...

10. madwolf macrumors member

So... Apple users don't go onto any flash websites? too bad you miss out on youtube...oh, and quite a big percentage of other sites.

The day Apple restricts the software you can install on your Mac the day it will die.

11. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm sure they could find a way if they really wanted to. On my old MacBook (2008) flash crashed the thing if I used it for long enough! I hope that doesn't happen on meh MacBook Pro. If it does I'll download SMC Fan Control:D

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I actually view what little YouTube I watch with HTML5 these days
    But honestly, if YouTube died today I wouldn't miss out on anything

13. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What... People in another thread were saying that YouTube wasn't flash. And even if it was, YouTube is making the switch to HTML5:D:D:D

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As difficult as the concept is you to understand, Flash on the Mac requires an Internet Plug-in. The QuickTime plug-in enables an old version of Flash. To handle newer versions, an Adobe Flash plug-in must be downloaded and installed. Flash will remain on the Mac as long as Apple supports its plug-in architecture and Adobe develops the plug-in.

OTOH, the iPad does not employ the plug-in architecture used by MacOS X. There, its browsers do not have easy access to third-party content formats. Understand?

15. mslide macrumors 6502a

Never knew that. I hope more sites follow and that the day will come when we can say goodbye to flash for good.

16. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I didnt think YouTube was flash? If it was then surely you wouldn't be able to use it on the iPhone?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Who knows? Maybe someday soon Steve Jobs will declare that the Internet is outdated, and Apple will invent it's own newer and easier to use walled-garden online system. Maybe they'll name it AOL.

18. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Uhm, if you wanna drop flash just run the Adobe Uninstaller. No one is forcing you to use it

YouTube not flash? Just right click a youtube video. (As long as you're not in the HTML5 beta)

Flash doesn't work on the iPhone, that is pretty evident when you visit a website with flash on it, the only reason YOUTUBE does is because they made a work around for it as a separate "app".

19. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

HTML5 is in Beta stage at YouTube.