Will apple drop the classic ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Derkatwork, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I have heard that the wheel is being removed in the future and that even the nano in the next year or two would turn into a mini touch screen. Is apple going to cut their "outdated" ipod classics to make way for the touch? Or will that happen net year?

2. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

This speculation happens every time, and I'm afraid everytime.

I'm sure I fall in to a very niche section of the community, but I have over 130 GB of music. Sure, I don't need to carry it all everywhere with me, but I want to. For this, I have a 160 GB classic. I also have an old 120 GB classic that I use strictly for video. It houses every season of Entourage, The Office, and Weeds, as well as a number of movies. I use this to carry my videos around to various TV's around the house and friend's places, and I don't know of a better solution.

But, alas, I really do see them axing it sooner rather then later.

3. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

That's cool. I have memories with the old ipods that brought them to where they are. I'm just wondering if apple looks back at where they've been, or if they are just droning into the future at this point.

4. nightpwnsj00 macrumors newbie

I really hope not. I'm currently in the wait-and-see-or-buy-it-now mode, as my Classic is dead, and I really need to get another (my 16GB Nano, while nice, is nowhere near a Classic replacement). Hopefully the Classic sticks around for at least another year, and gets a capacity boot while at it, but I'm really doubting that now.

5. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Did you see something that indicates either way?

6. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I don't think it will be dropped, but it probably will be updated this year with some new features since it's been 3 years without any new features but a capacity jump and genius. I also think it will probably evolve into a touch screen at some point, and in a few years when flash memory is dirt cheap, it will probably have 128GB of flash memory for $249.l

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Well for one thing when they show iPod sales on a slide the picture only showed iPod nano and touch.

8. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Maybe they are only showing the big sellers, since the classic ipod isn't as popular as the touch.

9. MCRunning macrumors 6502

10. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I like to think that there are enough folks who need the extra storage capacity to keep the Classic line running for years to come.

While I don't have 130gb of music, I do have 130gb of movies and television series. The Classic is the only device (other than my MBP) with enough storage to contain and play all that video content.

I love my touch, and my new iPhone 4. But I couldn't see giving up my Classic for either one. Storage is more important than screen real estate, at least to me. I don't know how they'd upgrade the Classic in the next round of updates ... a little more capacity couldn't hurt, but I really don't see that helping sales. I just hope there's enough demand to stop the axe falling anytime soon.

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Despite what apple seems to show, the classic has ALWAYS been ahead of the nano and shuffle in the Top 10 at AMAZON as far as mp3 player sales go every time I check.

From a marketing stand point I WOULDN'T THINK that apple would want to get rid of it just for the fact it is in its own league with no competitors now.

However, apple has done some dumb things in the past, uh-hem 3rd gen shuffle.. so they might just get rid of it. Since capacity seems to be the biggest attractive factor of the classic I really don't see why they don't go back to dual layer because most of us don't care if it is a little thick.

As far as dual layer goes the highest out is 320GB, as far as single layer hard drives go I still only see 160gb. Usually you can get some sort of announcement before the iPod Classic comes out to indicate a capacity update, but there is nothing in the single layer market that has been released it seems.

At the end of august I plan on purchasing a 160gb iPod Classic and not opening it until the announcements, at which point if there is a larger capacity available I'll take it back and pick up a new one, if not I'll use this one and assume it is the end of the classic. :(

12. bindle macrumors regular

I'll probably jump ship if their highest capacity iPod doesn't have a click wheel. As someone who listens to music constantly when walking or driving, having to fiddle with a touch screen device to navigate music is such a deal breaker - & dangerous in the car. With the click wheel I don't even have to look.

I think they'll be keeping the classic around though - at least for another year. I'm getting a high capacity music player this year. Hopefully it's an iPod.

13. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Isn't it dangerous to play with an ipod at all while driving? Also, while this is just me, I find the touchscreen easier to use.

14. CampDavid macrumors member

I hope not.

I had an original 5GB iPod and it took so much abuse it's untrue over the 3 years I used it regularly. My current 80GB takes the strain now and I doubt my touch would cope with it's large touch screen.

As a music player the touch just isn't anywhere near the device the classic is

15. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Probably a little distorted figures, as there's a fair few different models of Nano (each colour and capacity) which will likely be counted as entirely separate products vs. a limited choice of Classic.

16. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I love the Classic, and I hope they don't get rid of it, and I don't think they will. If not the same Classic, then some kind of variation of it. They didn't get rid of the all-in-one Mac, just made variations of it.

17. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I'm in that niche category asa well. I have an iPhone and I have to limit myself to about 25 GB and the rest be for apps and photos. But with my classic I keep my entire library on it. About 40 GB of music and about 100 GB of movies. It's great for the car.

I wouldn't like to have to choose between an undersized (in GB) iPod nano or a fragile Touch. I feel like if anyone wants a Touch they could do themselves better by getting an iPhone, which is what I did. I don't want to have to worry about cracking my display on every device I have or having a phone and an iPod. The sturdy iPod Classics (and older gens) have always been my favorite iPod.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

With audio CDs becoming obsolete, lots folks are turning to their iPods to play their tunes in their cars. The classic being the best choice.

19. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

iPod "Classic" isn't going to be axed. It has become a mainstay for higher-end iPod integrated car and home stereos. Look for iPod as a "moving library" to be emphasized with other improvements to lure in the faithful .

20. bindle macrumors regular

Not really - surely a lot less dangerous than giving attention to a touch screen ipod. My point is I can pick up my ipod in one hand and easily navigate songs simply with the click wheel - without looking. You get the clicking sounds and tactile feedback. A touch screen would involve me having to take my eyes off the road to look at where I'm touching.