Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The rMBP is future, and is an all around better machine. This is coming from a cMBP owner.

The cMBP fits my needs better at also a better price. I use many of the features that are supposedly obsolete, such as ethernet and CDs, nor did I want to be bound by Apple's ridiculous BTO prices. Basically the same reasons why I didn't bother looking at the Macbook Air.

Sadly, it is going to be a few years until the retina gets to cMBP price levels. If cMBP goes, at best we will see a $200 drop in the base 15" and 13" rMBPs. After all, now the base 21.5 iMac costs $100 more than it did before the redesign. That's the main problem if the cMBP goes, is that if you want anything with decent performance(Quad i7, dGPU) you're going to have at minimum spend $2k-$2200. Contrary to popular belief on the forum, 99% can't spend that much on that much on a 15" laptop.

Last edited:

kunai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
It seems no one here understands my argument and are too blinded by Apple's marketing to get it.

The point is that I don't see the logic in making a notebook only a fraction smaller and thinner while sacrificing so many features and function. It's unnecessary. I'd rather have the Retina Pro 0.1" thicker than it currently is for the guarantee that I won't have to buy another machine within 4 years. Upgradeability is a huge part of owning a computer.

PCs are not appliances. People use them like vehicles, and vehicles sometimes need upgrades. When the timing belt gives out on your car, do you buy a new car?

NO. You replace the damn timing belt with a better one and get on with your life.

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
It seems no one here understands my argument and are too blinded by Apple's marketing to get it.

I get you. You have to understand since Apple turned into the "i" company they have adopted millions of users who are basically lunkheads when it comes to computers. We're a minority now. Unfortunately the unwashed "iMasses" are the vocal majority.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Very IMPORTANT>>

User upgradeability makes for more affordable power. By making them non-user upgradeable Apple can force you to pay higher prices for increased RAM and SDD space than you would otherwise have to pay. Gone are the days of buying the base model and upgrading the spec for 50% less than the Apple upgrade prices. So basically Apple has designed in a way to rip an additional $200 - $500 out of your pocket when you buy your computer.

>

This is exactly the point. This red crispy fruit company is ripping us off blind with unreasonable additional charges for upgrades. The market allows users to upgrade specs for 50% less than the company, yet they still only march to the beat of their own greedy rhythm. The dropping off of cMBP lines means more than just expandability - it means superiority and a sort of dictatorship in consumer electronics and definitely planned obsolescence.

Take back your buying power, vote with your buying power, buy only cMBPs, or simply build your own desktops today.

kunai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I actually really like the 1680x1050 screen with a matte surface.

I agree. The matte screen makes colors a little duller because it diffuses off-angle light, but increases practicality by a factor of ten. There are pretty much zero annoying glare points on a matte screen, and it's a very versatile and powerful machine with the 1680x1050 real estate. Pretty much 70% of what a 21.5" iMac would give you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.