Will Apple drop the "i"?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
If I'm correct, they haven't launched iProducts or iServices in a while. Also, Apple Watch and Apple Pay. Not iWatch and iPay.

What do you think?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
iWatch was already taken hence apple watch.

Will they drop the i in iPhone etc. not a chance

Comment

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
I think they will go with  rather than "i" from here on. All of their new products went with this. It would help alleviate the issue with things already being named with the "i" moniker (iTV and iWatch for example). I think they would also like to move away from it after Samsung decided to "borrow" this with all of there "S" products.

But I think all current products such as iPhone, iPad, or iTunes will keep their current names.

Reactions: kcmartenslol
Comment

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Does it even matter ? You should know not to ask us. We don't know, and for that matter, who cares ? I will buy anyway no matter what it's called ;)
MacRumors. This site almost literally lives on speculation / rumors. Also, I wasn't asking what you know.

Comment

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
For future products/service lines...yeah they may drop the i. iPhones, iPads, etc....not a chance! The branding is too huge! People going into a verizon, at&t, apple store, etc asking for an iPhone. The iPhone makes up around 69% of Apple's revenue....one product. That is absolutely insane. If you called it the most successful consumer product ever you wouldn't be wrong. That'll never happen. Maybe they'll drop the i years down the road when they come up with a product to replace the iPhone. Maybe that day will come maybe it won't.

Comment

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2015
Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
I don't think they will drop the "I" for anything that already has it, but it seems that anything that is released after 2014 will have "Apple" and not "I" in the name. If the car project turns out to be real, then I would bet on "Apple Car" and not "iCar."

Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
If I'm correct, they haven't launched iProducts or iServices in a while. Also, Apple Watch and Apple Pay. Not iWatch and iPay.

What do you think?
Not gonna happen.

The 'i' meant 'internet' in the case of the iPhone, borrowing from the name of the iPod (in this case, the 'i' meant 'intelligent').

The iPad's 'i' have the same meaning as the iPhone.

The Watch isn't primarily used to connect to the internet, so there was no need for the 'i'.

Neither does Apple Pay.

Comment

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
That's not really recent in the tech world to be honest.
Agreed, and that's why I said "relatively" as in "relative to other products/services".

The only newer Apple products/services are Apple Pay and the Apple Watch and two products doesn't really doesn't tell us that we are trending away from "i-product" to "Apple-product".

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think they will drop the "I" for anything that already has it, but it seems that anything that is released after 2014 will have "Apple" and not "I" in the name. If the car project turns out to be real, then I would bet on "Apple Car" and not "iCar."
At most it might be that. There's way too much brand reuniting that already comes with various "i" items that it would be only counterproductive to change those anytime soon, or at all.

Comment

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
The 'i' moniker was such a great idea by Steve Jobs. It trips off the tongue and is neat, concise and cool.

Putting Apple in front is clunky. 'Apple Watch' doesn't trip off the tongue at all. iWatch would have been much better and would have kept the pattern.

I think that it was a bad move not to think of a more inventive name or just use 'iWatch', and that it has damaged sales of the Apple Watch.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The days of i products are long gone. We have new leadership at apple and they've shown a desire to move away from naming products that begin with the letter i.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.