Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
With the new payment plan Apple has everyone on, there is a higher expectation for them to make bigger upgrades every year to the iPhone.

Do you think it'll reach a point to where they're like, "What in the heck could we possibly add to this device?"

A word of optimism- Tim Cook said in an interview "We are just getting started"

So I'm very hopeful. I believe Apple will keep delivering.

But one has to ask the question...what else?

fatbear

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
when you see they start upgrading their hardware, they are running out their ideas

can you tell me what's a big breakthrough from 6 to 6s except 2g ram?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I personally can't think of many features that are useful that they could add. Thankfully, that's their job and not mine. Be rest assured that they have the next 2-3 iPhones already roughly planned out.

My guess is that they'll add a single new feature to each iPhone, with previous features receiving further enhancements. iPhone 7 gets slightly better camera, faster processor, better graphics, faster LTE, perhaps enhanced 3D Touch, plus one "new" feature along with a redesign.

cchen280

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
iphone 7, new shape, liquid metal, a little better A10 CPU TSMC 16nm FF+ turbo, usb 3.1, wireless charging

iphone 7s, duo lens camera, new color (blue?), quick charging, A11 CPU TSMC 10nm, 2GB ram
or samsung LPDDR5 3GB ram + samsung A11 10nm CPU

j2ee

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
With the new payment plan Apple has everyone on, there is a higher expectation for them to make bigger upgrades every year to the iPhone.

Do you think it'll reach a point to where they're like, "What in the heck could we possibly add to this device?"

A word of optimism- Tim Cook said in an interview "We are just getting started"

So I'm very hopeful. I believe Apple will keep delivering.

But one has to ask the question...what else?

I dont think Apple will continue to be outstanding without their soul Steve Jobs. Iphone 6s is nothing really new except you consider pink color is a breakthrough.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Of course they will. They're a multi billion dollar company that has plenty of cash objected into the R&D department.

Reactions: ABC5S

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I personally can't think of many features that are useful that they could add. Thankfully, that's their job and not mine. Be rest assured that they have the next 2-3 iPhones already roughly planned out.

My guess is that they'll add a single new feature to each iPhone, with previous features receiving further enhancements. iPhone 7 gets slightly better camera, faster processor, better graphics, faster LTE, perhaps enhanced 3D Touch, plus one "new" feature along with a redesign.
Yes I agree, incremental upgrades will be how it is from now on. They simply can't have the "major" upgrade everyone always expects. Upgrades are increments, the sooner people understand that the better.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm unsure why we've come to expect some groundbreaking new feature Ina yearly basis from our phones. What's the difference from once Macbook to the next? Generally not a whole lot. And people buy them.

I'm speaking against myself here, but we really don't NEED to be buying phones yearly (yes I buy phones yearly lol). I wouldn't mind not being given a reason to upgrade. I'm very satisfied with the 6s plus and it will take some wowing me to upgrade this year.

I'd still be excited with wireless charging though...

Reactions: ABC5S

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
when you see they start upgrading their hardware, they are running out their ideas

can you tell me what's a big breakthrough from 6 to 6s except 2g ram?
2GB of RAM isn't a breakthrough feature, and you may find it hard to believe, but 99% of buyers don't care about it.

3D Touch is a breakthrough feature, and going forward its impact will be huge.

Reactions: doboy

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm unsure why we've come to expect some groundbreaking new feature Ina yearly basis from our phones. What's the difference from once Macbook to the next? Generally not a whole lot. And people buy them.

I'm speaking against myself here, but we really don't NEED to be buying phones yearly (yes I buy phones yearly lol). I wouldn't mind not being given a reason to upgrade. I'm very satisfied with the 6s plus and it will take some wowing me to upgrade this year.

I'd still be excited with wireless charging though...

I think the negatives of wireless charging outweigh the positives at the moment. Not being able to hold your phone and use it comfortably while charging isn't a great experience.

It's neat technology though, but I don't see the benefits until we get true wireless charging, which is still many years away.

Reactions: Hieveryone

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Well hopefully Tim's "we're just getting started" comment is correct. There are so many software and hardware features that could/should be added to future iPhones. iPhone (a lot of smartphones in general tbh) yearly updates don't always seem like much. However if you go back to the early 2000s and see how far we've come, it's truly amazing.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Eventually they might not upgrade yearly and they will call it the new iphone instead of having a number at the end

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the negatives of wireless charging outweigh the positives at the moment. Not being able to hold your phone and use it comfortably while charging isn't a great experience.

It's neat technology though, but I don't see the benefits until we get true wireless charging, which is still many years away.
In unsure what a negative aspect to wireless charging would be. If you want to use the device you simply plug it in. Wireless charging is great for when you're picking up and putting down your phone frequently. Or if you just want to set it down and have it charge without plugging in. I personally don't need a phone charging from across the room to see a benefit, but that's just one man's opinion :)

j2ee

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
Of course they will. They're a multi billion dollar company that has plenty of cash objected into the R&D department.

R and D has nothing to do with keep having more sales and great idea to make more money. Current Apple success is almost 100% because of Steve Jobs, his idea and marketing. It is not just about technology, it is his whole idea how to bring up something total new and shocking, make it like a fever and everyone just wants it, just like there was no single phone like iphone which could become something much more than a phone. without Steve Jobs, Apple is just using his idea to keep surviving, but this cannot last long. Does Apple even have any real new product or function at all after he is gone? Making a smaller ipad? Make the iphone bigger? Have gold and pink color? All are just trying to make more money out of his idea, but no new idea or breakthrough at all.

So my suggestion is: short Apple stock in long term, must win big.

Last edited:

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
In unsure what a negative aspect to wireless charging would be. If you want to use the device you simply plug it in. Wireless charging is great for when you're picking up and putting down your phone frequently. Or if you just want to set it down and have it charge without plugging in. I personally don't need a phone charging from across the room to see a benefit, but that's just one man's opinion :)
Wireless charging would be a neat feature, I think. And like you implied, if they do implement it, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they would get rid of the Lightning connecter. You would just simply have 2 options to charge your phone, each with their different pros and cons. I could get behind that!

I can picture the scenario now. I set up the wireless charger on my desk at home. When I get home from work, I place my phone on the wireless charger and boot up my Mac. If I get any texts or calls, they'll hand off to my Mac so I won't even need to pick up the phone off the charger. Not exactly ground breaking, but a nifty little convenient feature!

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
R and D has nothing to do with keep having more sales and great idea to make more money. Current Apple success is almost 100% because of Steve Jobs, his idea and marketing. It is not just about technology, it is his whole idea how to bring up something total new and shocking, make it like a fever and everyone just wants it, just like there was no single phone like iphone which could become something much more than a phone. without Steve Jobs, Apple is just using his idea to keep surviving, but this cannot last long. Does Apple even have any real new product or function at all after he is gone? Making a smaller ipad? Make the iphone bigger? Have gold and pink color? All are just trying to make more money out of his idea, but no new idea or breakthrough at all.

I disagree very strongly with you. I don't think you understand how product development works.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wireless charging would be a neat feature, I think. And like you implied, if they do implement it, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they would get rid of the Lightning connecter. You would just simply have 2 options to charge your phone, each with their different pros and cons. I could get behind that!

I can picture the scenario now. I set up the wireless charger on my desk at home. When I get home from work, I place my phone on the wireless charger and boot up my Mac. If I get any texts or calls, they'll hand off to my Mac so I won't even need to pick up the phone off the charger. Not exactly ground breaking, but a nifty little convenient feature!
Nokia had a pretty neat wireless charging platform on the Qi standard that was also nfc enabled so to could launch select apps (think something like an alarm clock dock). I could see this being great for charging overnight. I rock my phone, but not in one of those horrible docks that can potentially damage the port (have you seen some of the Apple store displays?!) by just setting it down on its angled wireless charging pad. The screen dims and shows me the time.

That, as well as being able to use the screen with gloves on, we're my favorite features of that device. So I guess I could add usability with a gloved hand to the list of things
Apple could add :)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You will see Apple stock crash no matter you agree or not.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, you were serious??????

Reactions: Psyfuzz and ABC5S

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 89

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I don't understand your logic. He's been dead for 4 years. Yet Apple is growing in sales. What new product were you looking for? They usually bring products that have level of demand. Smaller iPad, bigger iPhones. Now way bigger iPad pro, slim n light rmb. Touch ID has changed how we use our phones. Apple pay is a great implementation. 3d touch should be the start of new interaction. The Apple watch is a new product as well. As these new products go into gen 2 & 3, they'll do more, be more refined. Apps overall are better on iOS. Guess if you want to attach jobs to any of this it'd be through Jony Ive, who I'm willing to bet won't be leaving anytime soon. Apple has basically a blank check for talent recruitment and r&d.

Not saying Apple is bulletproof but they're probably in a better place than most companies lol.

Reactions: TechGod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.