Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I doubt it, but if they ever will, they will do it the possibly impending iPad Pro announcement. But, if that product never happens then absolutely not. They want you to use cloud management for files and I don't see that changing.

I would think doubly not for any possible iPad Pro. In fact, I expect them to start dropping the USB port from the MacBook Air in a couple years.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
That's wrong, you can absolutely store media like TV shows, movies and music. And I understand app support is coming back in a future version of Android OS.

OK I should clarify, you can't store media purchased off the Google Play Store.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Most people don't want or need a SD slot.

Get the adaptor. You can use SD on YOUR iPad today.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Looks at everyone making excuses for apples greed and laziness.

They can, and they should. But that would eat into 32, 64gb phone sales , and iCloud.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Actually I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. The micro SD slot is extremely useful. You can plug it into your computer and copy pictures, movies, files to it and access them from your device. You can tell the camera to store pictures there. You can also set apps to use the micro SD space as storage instead of built-in device storage. It really adds a lot of flexibility to the device.

You could copy pictures/photos from SD using adapter, files and other cr.p you could use wifi to copy. Apple's concept is to push you to buy itunes and watch them online/streaming.
They don't like you to download pirate movies and watch them on ipad in another words from cards :) I don't care about this, I am using MacBookPro if I need to deal with files.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What irritates me is that the entry level is still at 16GB. With the amount of apps and the 1080p HD videos/pics it fills up pretty fast. I do not see how it will hurt them to drop the 16GB and up the storage configs to 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

Lots of people have no need for more than 16gb, so why should they pay more for an iPad just to satisfy your irritation? :confused:

Now if you meant to say it'd be nice if Apple cut the prices across the board, I doubt anyone would argue with that. Not that it's going to happen until/unless market conditions force them too, so don't hold your breath. :cool:

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Lots of people have no need for more than 16gb, so why should they pay more for an iPad just to satisfy your irritation? :confused:

Now if you meant to say it'd be nice if Apple cut the prices across the board, I doubt anyone would argue with that. Not that it's going to happen until/unless market conditions force them too, so don't hold your breath. :cool:

Agreed, also lots of people who is asking for space/cards should use better video compression to make smaller video files. My ipad size is 32GB and I store tons of files including magazines, photos, pdf's etc. Never have issues with storage, if I do I could place them on dropbox and watch using streaming.
Playing huge 1080p files from piratebay or other torrent sources will eat your space quick, also not legal!! :) That is also irritates people who don't and prefer to buy legal media content.

Last edited:

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
It's funny that every time a new "i" device is announced either this exact topic or something very similar always comes up. People will never learn I guess.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Haha,

no.

Unlikely apple will do that.

Maybe not in the next few years, but eventually, everything will move to wireless, and there will be no need for USB. Already, keyboard&mouse and printer are well on their way to becoming wireless. Once wireless storage devices mature, what need will there be for the USB port? And when USB starts to go, you can count on Apple to be the first company to cut it out of their computers.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
You're all wrong.

Of course they're going to add a micro SD slot. It's just that right now all they're engineers are busy with adding the blu-ray writer to the 17" rMBP.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I read that using Apple's Camera Connection Kit will allow one to swap files in and out of the iPad with an SD Card.

Now, granted it's not the most convenient solution (as I believe one cannot play video off the SD card, but you must copy the file to the iPad).

This has me thinking a 16gb model might be good enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.