Will Apple ever bring back the MacBook? And something that doesn't make sense!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cootersgarage6, Jul 21, 2011.

1. cootersgarage6, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Okay, so the MacBook is the best selling mac, ever. ever. I know the Air totally blows it away, so there isn't really room for the MacBook. But take it like this: What if you want a 13 inch MacBook or some kind? You can't get one anymore for any less than like $1,200....So that kind of sucks.

Another thing: How are they going to call it a MacBook PRO or MacBook AIR if theres no regular MacBook? That's stupid. That's like me making a game system and calling it the Gamebox PRO and then have a Gamebox AIR... How would it be a pro version if there are no regular version? No sense. It's kind of hard to explain but think about it... They can't add Air and Pro if theres not a regular baseline that's just called MacBook. It made since to Have Pro and Air models, it should now be just the MacBook (the air being the macbook) and the MacBook Pro remaing the macbook pro. I'm basically saying: Okay, it's a Pro and it's a Air, but COMPARED TO WHAT? Lol.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Illumination macrumors regular

Since they're still selling MacBooks to educational institutions, it would be confusing to rename anything right now. Maybe once all the remaining stock is gone a rename will be in the works. But, since the current models are well known as Pro and Air, that might make it confusing as well. So only time will tell really.

4. MBABuyer macrumors regular

HELLO PEOPLE!!!!!!

THE REASON APPLE GOT RID OF THE MACBOOK IS BECAUSE THE BASE 11" MBA IS $999, THE SAME PRICE AS A MACBOOK.

THEY FIGURED, PROBABLY CORRECTLY, THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO BUY A $999 NOTEBOOK WOULD RATHER HAVE A NICE, LIGHT, THIN, AND PERFECTLY USABLE LAPTOP, INSTEAD OF A PIECE OF THICK, WHITE PLASTIC!!

And if you dare try to argue about crap such as "but the macbook had more ports :( " ....you don't even know what the macbook was for in the first place. It is for the average consumer, and guess what, the average consumer does not want ethernet or firewire! All the average consumer wants is the MBA with the 2 USB ports, a thunderbolt port, and an SD card reader (for 13" version)

So, get over yourselves. It was a smart decision by apple, and now all apple products will have a more nice looking metallic form.

That is all I have to say, Thank you :apple:

5. SkippyThorson, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

There's a stupid statement if I ever heard one. Is ethernet going somewhere? I am a network tech and use my MacBook to test connections and cables daily. Without an ethernet port, I couldn't do my job. The ONLY reason I would ever even think about the Air is if someone assured me that the Ethernet to USB dongle works just as good as a built-in Ethernet jack 100% of the time.

The average consumer also doesn't want an 11.6" screen. Have you walked in to Walmart or Best Buy to see average consumer laptops? I see the 13" widescreen option all over. Then again, you must know more about the average consumer than anyone else because you seem to be a marketing expert. Your username says it all - I smell bias. Try to consider what is best for others, not yourself.

Also, if you're going to keep on posting that same rant in multiple threads you're in for a wake-up call. No one wants to see you spamming up the place. You'll be reported. I found it in 5 threads in the past minute. How ignorant.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple was tired of replacing the cracked plastic ... gone forever

7. MBABuyer macrumors regular

Actually, apple ships more 11" models than 13" models because of demand for them, they are actually MORE popular than the 13 inch MBA. (luckily, the 11" has an amazing screen, and I usually see more people at the apple store looking at the 11" models)

Furthermore, you are NOT an average user. Just because you use ethernet, does not mean everyone does especially since you are a tech guy! No one I know uses ethernet, and for you to be a tech guy using the macbook makes no sense, get a macbook pro if you need the ports and the processing capabilities.

:apple:

8. SkippyThorson, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

First off, let me thank you for not being rude and obnoxious like I expected. Well-roudned debates are welcomed, and when not taken personal, make for good conversation.

Anyhow... I did my job with an iBook because of portability up until last year, and never had an issue. I finally decided it was time to upgrade from PPC, otherwise, I would still be using it thanks to its form-factor and durability. The servers at one of our local colleges can not be worked on without a readily available Ethernet-capable computer. Every student in the dorm must be connected to their Ethernet jack to be verified and use the internet. There is no Wifi in our dorms.

You want me to "get the MacBook Pro that has the ports"? Do I need an SD Card slot, VGA / DVI, or Thunderbolt to do my Networking job? I don't think you fully read what I said. Look at my sig. I have the aluminum unibody MacBook Pro before it was called a "Pro". It's perfect for everything I do, and I've never said once "I need a faster processor and more useless ports"... or "Hey, and I wish mine said Pro under the screen".....

How about all of the underfunded schools I service, where there is no Wifi yet there's an ethernet jack in every room? What good does Wifi capability do me then? What about all those students that don't get wireless in large lecture halls, yet there's an ethernet jack and power plug routed to every seat?

I don't know where you attend / attended school, but around here, all of the large facilities that have yet to receive major updates still have well-working Ethernet in every room. Even some hospitals still fall in this category - although they often get the funding to get Wireless. Most factories around here absolutely don't have Wireless, but still, the offices have Ethernet jacks.

Furthermore, all of the "average consumer" laptops at Walmart and Best Buy all have Ethernet built in. Every single one. I don't care about what's going on at your specific local Apple store. Again, I'm not criticizing you, but be unbiased and realize what's going on in the whole market. You can't use the word "average" without actually considering everyone that makes up that group, and Mac users aren't in the majority.

9. Anglican-Mac macrumors member

I don't do any heavy use tasks other than writing papers and doing research, so I consider myself a fairly average user. I'm also a college student, so I figure I'm in Apple's target market.

I go to a liberal arts college in the southeast US. We have wifi in the coffee shop and in the library, but the IT guys will not allow wifi in the dorms; to the point of taking away your credentials to get on the network. Yet there are two Ethernet ports in every room. So I use Ethernet all the time.

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Based on the fact it's gone, I visited my local Apple store to look at the options.

Price wise only the 11" MBA fits this bill, however it's a toy - it's the netbook of the family. Compared to the 13" version it just feels too small. The SSD is a joke and 2gb is embarrassing in 2011.

Next option is the 13" MBP - straight away you see the limitations of this device - the screen. For a £1000 laptop it comes with a horrible 1280 x 800 display, which is covered in glass so reflections are bad.

So MBABuyer where's the logical Macbook replacement? An underspecified Netbook or a Macbook in a nicer case?

Looking at what is currently available it seems the best replacement is the 13" MBA - but at £250 more expensive it's not a true replacement. But if Mommy and Daddy are buying what do you care

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea, with 64gigs, 11inch screen, no ports, 2gigs of ram, and no dvd drive. grrrreeeeat

12. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I am assuming that next year's MacBook Pros will be in the Air form factor with flash storage and no optical. At that point, the Airs will be renamed to just "MacBook". So there will again be a "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro", with no Air.

13. Liquinn Suspended

That sounds about right. ;D

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Guess it's a good thing the MacBook didn't come with FireWire.

So upgrade the Air to more RAM. You'd have to do the same thing with the MacBook, it only came with 2 GB RAM.

The optical drive in my MacBook is broken. Honestly, it hasn't detrimentally affected me. I thought it would be an issue, but it's not. I have an external optical drive and I use it rarely. I never have needed to use the optical drive when I'm not at home.

Not saying that this is your case, but it's not as big of a deal as many make out. How often do you use your optical drive?

15. Lara F macrumors 6502a

But the point is that upgrading RAM costs more, same with the SSD size.

And that still doesn't resolve the smaller screen (which is fine for a secondary computer, but isn't too great as a primary - 13'' is the minimum size for that I'd say).

Apple essentially eliminated the *all-in-one* (no upgrade, monitor, adapters or external DVD drive required) sub $1000 entry level computer with the Macbook. Will it hurt them in the end? Maybe not, but it's still a shame.

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You missed my point a bit. Duke's point was that the MBA only comes with 2 GB RAM while comparing it to the recently discontinued MacBook. My point is that the MacBook also only came with 2 GB RAM. For both models, it costs $100 to bump up the RAM.

I was merely pointing out that, in comparing the MBA and MB, he slighted the MBA for having the same amount of RAM as the MB, preferring the MB instead (even though it's not at all superior or inferior in that aspect).

Just like MBABuyer claiming that the MBA was better than the MB because it doesn't have FireWire and most people don't need it. Well, the MB doesn't have FireWire either, what's your point?

I'm simply pointing out the inconsistencies of what is being said.

17. vistadude macrumors 65816

Maybe the macbook wasn't very profitable? They are probably making tons more money on ipads, iphones, and macbook pros, which have huge markups.

18. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Probably more profit on the Macbook than the current 11" Air (and 2010 11" MBA).

19. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I have a MBP and I, personally, don't use the ODD (once?) either. I also have never used firewire, and have no real interest in it either. But upgrading RAM on the MBA isn't all that easy, you have to buy it from Apple and they will kindly accept a few organs in exchange, since it is soldered into the motherboard. My MBP enjoys its 8GB juice for 65 eur thank you very much :)

My next laptop after this MBP will surely be a MBA anyways, so as long as the GPU actually exists and isn't integrated into the CPU (which is fairly bad). I believe MBPs will sooner than later merge their shape with the MBAs as well so whether I want to or not, I'll be getting an airly-designed laptop in the coming years.

Regarding the MacBook... I believe it was the second most sold laptop after the MBP. They just want to homogenize their laptop line up and the MB fell sort of in the middle, so they just went ahead and scratched it off the table. It's not all that bad really, since the MBAs are very capable. A shame for someone who doesn't like MBAs though since the 13" MBPs aren't quite as affordable as the 1000$ polycarbonate version.

20. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I honestly can't believe Apple dropped the MacBook.I was going to buy one when I got out,of Basic Training to take overseas with me. w/e.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Got a microcenter nearby or have a friend that does? MBP i5 for $999

22. santos79 macrumors regular

Why? There's a "Mac Pro", but no "Mac". The iMac doesn't count because the pro version is not called the "iMac Pro". So much for naming schemes making sense.

IMO the iBook and PowerBook names were better, but I doubt Apple will bring them back.

23. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

There is a MacMini, so there is also a MacPro

There is a MacBook Air, so there is also a MacBook Pro

Class dismissed.

PS: I own solely a white macbook, and will keep it for the next 10 years.

24. MBABuyer macrumors regular

The MACBOOK IS GONE FOREVER!

Get over it you fool, go smash it with a hammer and LIKE IT! Post it on youtube, and you will get thousands of views!

Just get over it and delete this forum :apple:

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing is gone forever. Matte screens weren't gone forever. Same will be true with MacBooks.