Will Apple ever launch a netflix and redbox like services?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by aziatiklover, Jul 22, 2012.

1. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thoughts any one? It would be awesome to have a netflix like all around the world with Apple since they already have their itunes store all over the world, and a $.99 rent movies would be awesome too.

2. smoledman macrumors 68000

Why must Apple have every single service in-house?

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Probably not, it wouldn't have the massive profits on every user Apple would want.

4. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Like Jobs said, Apple makes their money by using OTHER companys' services but delivering them in such a way that makes their usage more enjoyable or practical.

5. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Yes, its called iTunes. Or are you talking about physical disks? Because those are going away.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

This.

Not this.

--

The only way Apple would bother is if there was a juicy profit. Apple profit = Apple prices = too expensive for the Netflix/Redbox format. People would rather have a cheaper service (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HuluPlus, whatever) than iTunes. Maybe if Apple had the foresight way back when, but not now. Why pay more for the same quality (or less) from iTunes when you can get it elsewhere for cheaper?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They would have to acquire rights to content...Something I can't see them doing. With so many online offerings already, they would have to come up with something pretty unique to make it work. Netflix is poor in the extreme in the UK, and others post similar remarks about the US version. I use my ATV's mainly as streaming devices. Now and then I might buy a movie or a TV series, but Apple won't get rich on my spending habits.

8. 184550 Guest

I think that it's more likely that Apple would offer a low cost rental option than a content streaming option.

Say $0.99 movie rental for a 24 hour or 48 hour period.

9. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap that would be awesome! Because right now the rent fees cost as much as going to frys to actually buy the bluray/dvd contents with a digital copy!