Will Apple ever make a Business Smartphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Oct 26, 2007.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I own an iPhone and I love it. 2 years ago when we talked about Apple making a phone, I was so excited, something that will help reduce the bulk I carry around (ipod, phone, laptop). Now the iPhone is here, it's great, but I can't part with my smartphone. at the moment I'm on a blackberry and I doubt I will ever leave it for the iPhone.

I'm wondering is a business oriented smart phone something people here would be interested in?

I'm thinking something with a real keyboard, a device that runs Mac OS X, Safari browser, can handle email accounts, open PDFs. Open and Edit Office Suite, etc. Basically have something that can do what the Mac does in a handheld without much limitation. Windows Mobile phones are amazing with their capabilities, but I just can't accept the sluggish OS I escaped on the PC.

If Apple ever made a Phone that was designed like the Blackberry Curve, I would be all over it.

I REALLY hope they have something like that in the pipeline!! :confused:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think touch will stay, but with Apple's recent tactile touch patent, that might be fine. Apps will come when the SDK is released which hopefully will be February :)

3. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

Hey! I know exactly how you feel. I love the iPhone but the touch interface just doesn't work for me.

You said you had a Blackberry and I'm currently looking at the new Curve. Can you share your opinions on how the Blackberry will sync with Macs? Contacts, Media (music/video), etc. What about stuff like .Mac? Check .Mac email? Can you use your Blackberry to upload photos to Web Gallery?

Thanks. If these all end up working seamlessly with a Mac I will purchase instantly.

4. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

Anyone with a Blackberry that can share their thoughts? Anyone love Mac but not feel like the iPhone is right for them? Probably not many people since this is a Mac forum afterall. :p

5. Marcjcd macrumors member

I have to be honest I LOVE my iPhone but today I went and looked at the new Curve and am seriously considering using both... which I will HATE! I'm just totally torn between the push email and the easier typing and the love of not having to carry and ipod, a PDA and a phone.

I feel your pain my friend.... :)

6. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

Yea... I'm really looking at the Curve. There isn't one device out there that does a combo of what I would like. And I hate how the AT&T and T-Mobile Curve models are different (T-Mobile one has Wi-Fi). Like you said, right now it's an iPhone/Curve hybrid.

7. Marcjcd macrumors member

And what's really pathetic is that after all this, we will still be running around with $700 worth of phone'S!

8. Jdot macrumors member

The software installation disc included with the blackberry has everything you need i have a blackberry pearl and it syncs my calendar, bookmarks, address book, and to do list. I can even have it sync itunes with the media player. Only thing i want is .mac to work with my phone as far as wireless syncing : ( that why i want a iphone ^_^.

9. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at Amazon.com's FREE Curve deal but the $80/$90 monthly service fee is the catch... IMO worth it, IF it does what I desire.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

We have much of that now in the base iPhone.

And as psychofreak notes, now that we will soon have a legitimate SDK for developers to use, we should see the rest of those applications and utilities come soon enough and since they will not be "hacks" or "mods", businessfolk will not have qualms about buying them to expand their iPhones into "iMacPhones".

11. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I highly doubt Apple will create a device that goes against the grain of the Touch screen interface they are trying to promote.

They key to pleasing business consumers with an Apple phone lies in the phone OS and 3rd party software.

If consumers get all the apps they want, and an OS that's customizable at least in regard to being able to change OS font size, be a bit more versatile with the OS apps, such as calendar, instant email (not the currently sometimes working yahoo push-mail), alarm etc, Then there's really no reason not to get an iPhone over a Blackberry.

Unless the user refuses touchscreen completely, but that's probably not a very large percentage of persons in the scope of things.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

if you look at how Apple markets itself, it's not exactly geared towards the business set.

That's not to say you cannot use macs or apple products in business, but that's just not the target they are aiming for currently.

I don't really see a reason that it will change either.

13. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm usually not always in agreement with Sobe but there are rare exceptions to the rule :p

Apple probably won't change it's marketing in this respect i agree.

I do think however that a 3rd party developer may have a shot at creating and marketing an "end all, best business mobile app(s) ever on the iPhone" that may attract consumers from BB and others.

So by the end of next year the consumer buying decision may look something like this: "Why should I get an iPhone?" , "because you can buy Office Elite, Death of Windows Mobile App for like $25 on iTunes."

Edit: completely kidding btw Sobe, 97% of your posts make sense :p

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

3rd party apps could help attract more business clients, good observation.

I think the main problem will be Blackberry.

If I use my phone for business and need email for that business, I don't want an iPhone.

Now if Apple could strike a deal with RIM....(nah not bloody likely).

15. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Well allowing us to add an iphone to an ATT corporate account would go a long way toward enticing the business community. I have a Blackberry Pearl and the push system and ease of use is unbeatable. Simple things like just pressing and holding down a key to speed dial, or just start typing a name- first or last and the Blackberry drills down to the name is awesome.
    I just purchased an iphone and I am using it with my blackberry's sim because I am a gadget nut and love apple products. So far I find I can do most stuff on it and getting my email every 15 minutes or when I check is not that bad. But it is not a Blackberry. The nice thing is that I can swap the sim card and just use whatever I feel like for that day or week.
    Kenal0