Will Apple ever make the Apple TV Thunderbolt/Cinema Display compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Brandon263, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

It would be great to stream video, etc. from your laptop to the Thunderbolt/Cinema Display. Does anyone think that this is a possibility? Or that Apple will at least make the next Thunderbolt Display WiDi compatible and incorporate the relevant drivers in OS X.

2. BookerDW macrumors member

3. Steelseries macrumors member

You're asking if you can stream your mac wirelessly or via AirPlay to your thunderbolt display, right? Possible, but for me it is only a minor feature.

The TD display is not only a display, but also acts like a hub. Also for those who use the display in a thunderbolt chain. The current TD display and the imac still has no hdmi, you can only connect an apple tv to an hdtv.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

the quality of airplay mirroring is normally not the greatest.

WiDi only supports (1920 by) 1080, the cinema display is 2560 by 1440

regular airplay of video files is not too bad, as the file is pre-compressed. and not having to be converted, and streamed all in real time.

5. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean that it's possible Apple can introduce this feature in future versions of the Apple TV/ Thunderbolt Display?

I wonder what's stopping Apple from putting a Thunderbolt port in the Apple TV.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's an appleTV, not many TVs have a thunderbolt port on them, plus the hardware would add considerable cost to the unit.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The fact that this is a problem is somewhat sad. I think its rediculous the thunderbolt display doesn't support legacy Mini-display Mac's...I mean come on that's like making an HD TV that only accepts HDMI 1.4 and nothing before.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What would be the advantage of this? You wouldn't be able to use all the hub features and would be stuck at 1080p. If you want it to double as a tv, just get a 1080p TV and an Appletv which will cost you a lot less than a TBD. Give one good use for this?