Will Apple EVER release decent drivers for Nvidia Cards?!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Oct 28, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

the nvidia drivers are terrible. my cheap ass imac ati card runs less buggy than the nvidia.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It would help if you would describe what you problems were. In the Late-2008 MacBook Pro, drivers were decent at best but Apple has released updates since then that have fixed and improved most problems. Things are performing better in Snow Leopard with all the transitions and use of CI and QE.

3. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

4. jseyf5 macrumors member

jseyf5

5. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

um.. did you see my speakeasy test? i got 60 mbps

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Definitely see the lag. But I'm afraid that isn't or wouldn't be related to the GPU. There has to be something else causing it.

Try creating a new user and see if the lag still happens in there too.

7. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hm.. i tried, no luck :(
    i also tried clean installs before too

edit:
    could it be my mac possibly bottlenecking my internet connection somehow??

8. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

havent watched the video, but does that computer use the apple mail app to connect to a large imap account? theres a known issue on snow leopard where mail will use (ridiculously) excessive usage when connecting to say a huge gmail imap account.

9. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I was thinking something along those lines too. OP you have iStat installed? During the lag, I'm pretty sure iStat will report something whether it be an application or CPU being taxed heavily. If that's the case, we could go from there and probably find a solution. You might alway want to open up your log to see if anything was flagged.

11. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

12. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

Sure, but what is the latency and throughput from the site you are pulling content from? You might want to run Network Utility and do a Trace Route to the source and see what the response times are.

13. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Its flash, it just isn't coded well, and that is what is causing it, it has nothing to do with your graphics drivers. Its just because the flash on Mac is poorly coded that is why even on 17" MBP's flash video lags. Until Adobe fixes this or there is another option that every site adopts, I am afraid you are going to have to deal with it.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It could be Flash but I have never seen it lag like that on my MacBook Pro. I would assume that the iMac in terms of performance might be better? (not sure).

15. chrisrottan macrumors member

1) Reset the internet modem/router.
    2) Shut down your mac.
    3) Unplug your router/modem's power plug and leave it out for 5mins.
    4) Plug it back in.
    5) Turn on your computer.
    6) Try Hulu again.

I have 25MB DL yet sometimes, there is heavy traffic to certain websites that it becomes slow. It has nothing to do with the gpu.
    Maybe it's your modem. But it's certainly internet-related.

16. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

it can't possibly be flash cause hulu desktop also lags. and if its flash, how come thousands of other mac os users are okay? (oh and i have the latest version of flash)

I also tried the internet reset and no luck :(

oh and i also made another video showing in the in/outs of internet connection during hulu usage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgWsVbUYlg&feature=youtube_gdata

thanks for all you guys' help though

17. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Are you by chance routing through open dns? That service has been known to throttle youtube, hulu videos.

Who is your ISP? What country are you in?

Any proxy's or VPN's set up?

Does it run the same when you have Parallels closed? (on the first video I see that it is open).

It is most def a buffer issue, just curious could you test in firefox and see if it does the same thing.

18. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Are you by chance routing through open dns? That service has been known to throttle youtube, hulu videos.
    how do I check that?

Who is your ISP? What country are you in?
    My ISP is from school which is why my internet is fast. I connect it via ethernet from the apartment building. All other students running the same internet connection, and even from my OWN router, have absolutely no problem running Hulu.

Any proxy's or VPN's set up?

im not sure what that is.. is there a way i can check?

Does it run the same when you have Parallels closed? (on the first video I see that it is open).
    In the video, I ran IE via parallels and absolutely no problem whatsoever.

It is most def a buffer issue, just curious could you test in firefox and see if it does the same thin
    I tried it in firefox and same exact problems. I highly doubt its a browser/flash issue because Huludesktop lags too

19. melman101 macrumors 68030

I see a red icon in the top right corner of the screen in your video. You are not running any sort of VMWare or virtualization software at the same time are you? When you freshly boot your machine did you look at your activity monitor? Maybe you have something installed that's killing some processor time. Which Mac do you have? how old? What are the specs? RAM, Hard Drive, etc? Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Hope we can fix this for you!

melman101

20. chrisrottan macrumors member

Ahhh school internet.
    When I went to my friend's dorms, I would get a ridiculously fast download speed test yet i was not able to watch youtube in HD because of speed problems. School network is very secured.

21. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

well, if thats the case, how come all my other friends and housemates can freely stream hulu perfectly fine? i never had this problem when i first got my uMBP. any CLEAN install of SL or just Leopard, and i mean CLEAN, NEVER works either

edit:
    by the way, thank you guys so much for your inputs

22. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

the only think i can think of is some weird logic fault where when i install the OS, it installs the wrong drivers or some sort and then it screws everything up.

again, i feel like it can't be hardware cause it works in parallel and NOT isp cause all my friends can watch hulu

23. chrisrottan macrumors member

To be brutally honest, I'm getting horrendous speeds with SL on my MBP.
    Try it on a windows-based PC. Driver's are there, that lagginess is caused by the network itself. Netflix is a pain on the macbook but ehhh you just pause it, wait abit and it should be okay.