Will apple ever switch back to nVidia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHazbadmac, Nov 23, 2011.

1. iHazbadmac macrumors newbie

The 2010 versions of mbp 13 had nVidia but now they switched to Intel hd 3000 (HUGE MISTAKE). The preformace went down and it bacicly sucks. When will apple go back to nVidia?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, the graphics "preformace" does "bacicly" suck somewhat, but why not read a bit first to understand the situation before making comments?

The nVidia chip in the old 13" MBP was an integrated graphics chip. The 13" MBP does not have the space or cooling requirements for a discrete graphics card, as found in the 15" and 17". Since the days of the integrated Nvidia chips in Core 2 duo chips Intel has not allowed companies like Nvidia to make integrated graphics chips through licensing.

This left Apple in the spot of either leaving the 13" MBP with very old chips, discontinuing it or using Intel's integrated graphics. Going back to Nvidia is not up to Apple. It is up to Intel.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Intel has a really bad rap. The Intel HD 3000 is actually equally fast as the 320M in most situations that matter. It is even better in some. The general performance went up a lot because of the faster CPU.
    Nobody complained about the 9400M. Everybody said it is awesome and soo much better. Yet the Intel HD 3000 sucks? It is way fast than the 9400M and the requirements outside of gaming didn't grow.

Besides that only dedicated GPUs may make their way into a new design. I think that is very doubtful though. The next intel will even be much better and with the more efficient Intel GPU design I really doubt Apple would be stupid enough to add a dedicated GPU into the 13" again.

Seriously check out what the Intel HD 3000 can do and think about it if Nvidia could do a better job. They would need at least to add 15W to the whole system just to get even with an IB GPU. That is 40% more heat for just something that is a little faster. What Intels GPU still lacks in optimizations they make up for with better process technology. The difference between Nvidia low end GPUs and Intels GPU is getting smaller and smaller.

4. Risasi macrumors 6502

I hope they don't.

I checked out the HP Envy and the Dell XPS 15z/14z, but was saddened to see they both had Nvidia GPUs. I have my own personal boycott against Nvidia because I feel that I got the shaft on the 8600m GT in previous laptop. I think I'll stick to Intel and ATI for graphics for the next few years.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Really? Performance went down where? The HD3000 wins in some benchmarks and the 320m in others, they're pretty much the same. Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs don't work with NVidia's chipset + GPU so you're stuck with Core2Duo... all for a non-existent drop in GPU performance.

NVidia doesn't have the licence to manufacture Intel CPUs with an integrated memory controller. From this point onward, as long as Apple pretends that there is no space in the 13" for a dedicated GPU, there will be no more solutions like the 320m or 9400m.

6. Freddy1765 macrumors member

7. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

The 13" MacBook Pro is fairly entry-level. I wouldn't expect a decent GPU in it any time soon. Any laptop as thin as a MacBook Pro is going to have trouble fitting in a good GPU. We already hear too many heat complaints...

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

Loved my 8600m GT in my old Dell. It never let me down, still plays almost anything I want (other than Crysis, but thats beyond the definition of insanity anyways). Nvidias are still the best graphics around

9. Risasi macrumors 6502

I liked it too, but due to a flaw in the chip they all eventually die, although the vast majority of them run for years. It's just how Nvidia handled it.
    Nvidia knew they had a problem but kept churning out chips. They eventually got hit with a class action and were forced to make repairs. I got mine fixed once by Dell, but then their warranty ran out and I could never get it fixed a second time. This left a bad taste in my mouth because of it.

----

Also to Nielsenius,

I think most of the perceived heat problems in the 13" aren't real. It's guys freaking out over 90c even though that is well within spec.

I have a 13" MBP and MBA and it's amazing what they can run. I'll likely upgrade to the Ivy Bridge when it comes out. It's almost cheaper to buy every Intel refresh now than to try and go with a discrete GPU...