Will Apple ever update their routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crzdcolombian, May 30, 2011.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I am in the market for a new router I have an Linksys e2000 which isn't all that bad but now my new apartment has more walls between my room and the living room. There are some rooms where I only get 1 bar which sucks.

I am thinking of a better linksys maybe the e4000 but also the Apple airport extreme but noticed that it hasn't been updated since 2009. Doesn't Apple usually refresh all their products?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not much to update it with. It already has 3 stream (450mbps) wireless and gigabit Ethernet.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

the airport extreme is updated all the way it can be i believe. the express needs final version of n instead of draft, and gigabit ethernet instead of 10/100 base-T. the reason why it isn't simultaneous dual band and the usb doesn't support disks is because they need a reason for you to upgrade to the extreme. otherwise they work really nicely together. if you get an extreme and one or two expresses, you can support all the media/files you would need in your house.

4. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

its just kind of an old model to still be almost 200 bucks.:eek:

5. modit macrumors 6502

Agreed but I'd like to give go with the AirPort Express. I still can't justify spending about ~ $191 for nearly 2 year old refurbished tech. I'm being told to say no to the walled garden and get either a Linksys E3200 or E4200.

So the question is, why should the OP and I stick with Apple over these other routers?

I'm getting one in the next few days.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy it in the refurb store. It's still one of the easiest routers to setup and run.

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Ease of use, designed to work specifically with your computers, and reliability. I've had an Extreme for months now and pretty much haven't thought about it since I initially installed. Guests join their own open network and my family plugs along on theirs. Simple, like it should be. I saw the value in it and many others do too.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

In my recent experience the new routers perform similarly.
    The biggest issue I have seen is location and the materials used in the walls.

I run an extreme, not the latest version, and it fine.
    I also run a linksys 610 again fine.
    When I was having an issue I was swapping the routers in and out.
    When my son came home I needed to add him to the wireless access. The airport software wouldn't connect. Then it was realized the linksys was on line.
    Never noticed a performance issue.
    The extreme has some good features but I believe the latest higher end linksys/Belkin/netgear have similar features.
    My linksys works just fine with the airport express.
    Bestbuy.com has the airport express (refurbs) for $50 every so often

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Until wired or wireless standards change or improve, there's no need to update the hardware. If you do go with an AirPort Extreme, you'll really enjoy using the AirPort Utility. It makes network management enjoyable.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then don't buy it.

Unless you are technically un-inclined and/or don't mind paying more for equivalent function, an Apple router will be fine for you.

11. Rocs macrumors member

I have had Linksys and Neatgear and I find the Airport extreme to be easy to setup and less dropped signals with my wireless PC's and iPads. Dunno if that is just the way the previous two were configured. Also I have had no issues with range....

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I concur, unless there's a new faster standard or something. U shouldn't want an update.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

14. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

If you love tweaking your router settings all the time, then the Airport Extreme is not for you (it restarts everytime you change a setting).

On the other hand, if you set it up once, and rarely touch it, it's the best router ever. Very stable and reliable.

15. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Agree, I run several. That said, my kids' Airport extreme died a few months back. It was an old original model with a lot of custom settings on it. Luckily I had an unused spare lying around. Swapping in the spare and downloading the custom config file took less than 5 mins before they were back online and domestic harmony was restored. Priceless.

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

this.

the airport is the only router i have used that i actually know where to go to change settings. airport utility is so easy to use. it restarts every time you change settings but its not as bad as you would think. its only for a few seconds. the audio feature on the express is great and the usb for disks is too. it just works well if you have a mac laptop.

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Same here.. Had a netgear 3700 and a linksys 4200 for two weeks before I had to return it due to weak and poor wifi signals. Also wifi would stop requiring a reset of the router. The apple airport extreme has been solid since installled.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

18. modit macrumors 6502

19. modit macrumors 6502

Looks Like Apple Is Going To Update!

It appears that Apple will be updating both the Time Capsule and AirPort Express. Thank goodness this news came as I just received my refurbished AirPort Extreme today.

If this is true along with price cuts, all our questions have been answered. I put in a return order to Apple with the reasoning "I'm in the market for a new model ;)"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1162277

20. kppolich macrumors 6502a

kppolich

if you are cautious because of the price, for sure check out amazon. I got mine NEW for $91.00 + free shipping

21. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

No Update?

There was no update announced at the keynote. Anyone have any thoughts if updates are coming? I guess I will use iCloud going forward and not buy the TC because I trust Apple to be around and they probably won't mine my data unlike Google. If I want a local HD, I can buy an external.

22. jyoung96 macrumors newbie

yea what happened to the shortage of supplies? there are no updates of the Time Capsule or Airports

23. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

24. tibere86 macrumors member

My biggest concern is when will Apple update the firmware to support QoS? With technology gravitating towards video streaming and VoIP, QoS is becoming more and more important.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I have read speculation (don't remember where) that the Airports already have automatic QoS built into and running on the current firmware.