Will Apple every update the 4 inch iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

It seems like Apple is struggling internally with the decision to release an updated iPhone in a 4 inch screen. Many customers are still holding on to an iPhone 5S because this. Will we ever see a new iPhone with a 4 inch (or smaller) screen? There were iphone "6c" rumors, but those seem to have been very fishy (no components leaked, which is unusual). Personally I will get a 6s or 6s+ but I wouldn't mind seeing another sleek, square 4 inch model released.

Edit - I accidentally posted this thread twice. Mods, feel free to delete one.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It will be interesting next year, where technically the 5S would be phased out, leaving the 6 as the bottom model. Then we can see how the sales are.

4. nerddrgn macrumors newbie

nerddrgn

Yeah. I for one thought an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus would be awesome, but at the moment I would gladly pay way more for a iPhone 5s body with even just iPhone 6 innards. I have seen a few used (large storage space) iPhone 5s' selling for a 1000 online.

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Doubt it. I think if they go another round with no 4" model many holdouts will realize that they aren't making small phones anymore and buy a 7 (making it the best selling iPhone ever yet again).

6. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

Oh great, pre-orders will really suck that year! :)

7. nerddrgn macrumors newbie

nerddrgn

Maybe... I have been actively looking into android and feature phone options because I dislike the 6 I have. Seriously considering buying a 5s while I can just in case. I probably already would have tried Android if any of them made a good 4 inch phone, which they don't.

8. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

That's the thing, there isn't really any good competition for a smaller model. Any 4" and smaller Android phones I've seen are budget no-name devices or cheaper versions of flagship devices with missing features. I think Apple's mindset is they aren't going to lose their loyal followers to Android/Windows when they aren't making what they want either.

9. Akack macrumors 6502a

10. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I have a 64GB Iphone 5S kicking about.....Where can I sell it for 1000?

11. nerddrgn macrumors newbie

nerddrgn

Yeah, I know what you mean. If they don't make a 4 inch model in the next iteration or two, I will probably get a feature flip phone + an iPad and maybe a iPod Touch.

12. nerddrgn macrumors newbie

nerddrgn

Well someone was asking 1000 for one on Amazon. Not sure how many, if any, they have sold.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Apple isn't struggling internally over this. It's long since been settled....

14. koulmj macrumors 6502

I would have paid for a 4in - 6s or Maybe...a 6m(Micro)...weren't iPhones 3.5in at one point?

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

No chance at all. There is no going back now especially as all their competition is releasing premium phones in the same size range. Personally I hope they never do as anything under 5" is way too small in my opinion. I think the 4.7" may even be increased to 5" in the future.

16. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Yes, the 4/4S was 3.5". Apple has consistently made smaller devices than the competition. Even the 4.7" 6 is smaller than most Android flagships and the 6S+ is a bit smaller than most of the new "phablet" Androids.

17. nerddrgn macrumors newbie

nerddrgn

If that happens, I will probably just stop buying smartphones since Android and Ubuntu phone are not good options really.

18. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I don't think so....I know there are some vocal hold outs for the 4 inch phone, but I think most people have either upgraded to the 5/5s if they really didn't like the size of the iPhone 6.

I don't think there will be slipping shipping dates simply due to the number iPhone 4 people converting next year.

19. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

True, but the major number upgrade are typically worse for early adopters and pre-orderers than 's' upgrades. This year pre-order went so smoothly I had to stare at the confirmation email for a few minutes because I couldn't believe that there were no website crashes, error codes, etc.

20. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

I'd happily go for a new 4", if I were in the market. Even 4" is too big for my liking, with the top and bottom of the display not so easily reachable with the thumb, in one hand. (His Steveness may have had a point about 3.5" being a good size for usability)