Will Apple exchange a locked CAD iPhone 4 for a US AT&T Model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roflc0pter, Sep 19, 2011.

1. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2010
    I recently bought a used iPhone 4 online to use with AT&T in the United States. The model I bought appears to be from Canada (MC605CLL/A) and is locked to Bell (Canada Carrier.) I thought it would be factory unlocked but I guess not. Therefore, my AT&T SIM is not valid for this phone.

My question is, would the Apple store exchange it for a AT&T locked model? The phone is under warranty for another year and appears to be in almost new condition. If not, I will simply just try to return it back to the seller.
  2. gngan macrumors 68000

Jan 1, 2009
    No. If you get a replacement then it will still be locked to Canadian's carriers.
  3. macingman macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2011
    You may be able to pay the Canadian carrier a small fee to have it unlocked. You should check the carriers website.
  4. thewitt macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2011
    Contact the carrier. They will tell you whether or not they will unlock your phone. If they will not, return it to the seller - if you can...

5. profets macrumors 68040

Mar 18, 2009
    There's no way Bell will unlock it for you. How did you buy online, ebay? I would always be careful of buying an iPhone unlocked, need to have some sort of proof to show its not locked to a carrier (plugging to iTunes, or receipt from Apple store for example).